Series 3 suddenly powered off, won't restart

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Series 3 suddenly powered off, won't restart

I just hear a drive clicking when I plug it in.

At first I thought it might be heat related or something. It powered off 2 nights ago and after leaving it unplugged overnight I plugged it back in and it worked fine for almost all of the day. Last night it powered off again. A few minutes and plugging it back in restarted it for a few minutes then it died again. This morning it still wouldn't start. The drive clicking noise and fan sound is all I get. No front lights at all.

New drive or new unit?

If the ticking is a fast, repeating tick, then that is likely a power supply or short on the motherboard. If you are hearing a louder clunking sound, that is likely a hard drive.

Comment

It is a fast repeated (3-4 per second) quiet ticking although it sounds like computers I've worked with in the past with bad hard drives. It doesn't sound like the heads are banging, etc.

Any further diagnostics I can do? I suppose I could pull it apart and reseat all of the connections. I noticed on the drives if you order one on the chance it is a drive issue you can return it (with a 15% restocking charge) - is the same true for a power supply?

Thanks!!!!

Comment

Also, when I unplug it again the clicking slows down and stops over about 5 seconds.

Comment

I pulled it out of the cabinet and I can see it a whole lot better now. I was just imaging the fan spinning. Does seem to be more likely to be power supply related.
          Thanks!

Comment

OK - power supplies for most TiVos are here:

http://www.weaknees.com/tivo-power-supply.php
            Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Working...
            X