Fan failure causing problems?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fan failure causing problems?

I upgraded my series 2 about two years ago with a TwinBreeze Bracket and added a 320GB HD.

Over the two weeks, the fan on the TwinBreeze started to go out. It sounds like one of the bearings is going. Canned air to blow out any dust helps for about 30-60 seconds.

When the fan sounds horrible, the screen will freeze and more regularly these days, the Tivo will restart.

Most of what I've read says that the hard drive is the main culprit here. I'll be testing them later today when I have time.

But could the fan itself cause this? It doesn't seem to be a heat issue, as the insides are cool. (Helps that its now fall, and very cool in the house.)

Patrick

It's possible that it's the fan. Try disconnecting the fan and see what happens.
    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

So far so good

I removed the fan yesterday, and it seems to be working well, with no problems. I'll keep my eyes on it.

Comment

OK - be sure to watch the temp also.
        Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Definitely the fan!

It was the fan that caused the problems. Once I removed it, everything has worked fine since.

The temperature is 39C (Normal).

I'll likely get a new fan in the spring. We keep the house cold during the winter, so overheating is not likely.

Thanks!

Comment

Working...
          X