1080i programming sometimes showing at 720i

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1080i programming sometimes showing at 720i

I tried searching this forum and did not see this anywhere - I wonder if anyone else has encountered this and whether there is a good explanation for it?

I have a TivoHD connected to a Vizio plasma via HDMI cable. I noticed this weekend that some HD programming was coming in at 720i, not 1080i. This morning I did some experiments and some channels would come in at 1080i and when I switched away then back again, would then be 720i!!!

FYI I first noticed this AFTER I swapped in a (supposedly) high performance HDMI cable (Blue Jeans Cable). Obviously I am going to try going back to the old one, but wondered if this was something others had encountered.

Roger

Change the format to 1080i fixed. Right now, it is changing the format based on the actual format being broadcast, rather than upconverting to 1080i.

Comment

I don't understand - the same program is 1080i and 10 seconds later is 720p. Isn't broadcast in either one or the other?

FYI I now have Tivo set to "Native" since my TV supports all signals. Is it really desirable to upconvert everything to 1080i? I can certainly give it a try, but I don't think that gets at the heart of the matter.

Roger

Comment

You can have a show in 1080i and then a commercial, for example, can be 720p. I'd try switching to fixed to see if it solves the problem.

Comment

I'll give it a try later - I understand what you are saying - but I was definitely seeing the same programming (the main program, not a commercial) switching from 1080i to 720p and vice-versa.

Comment

Also, I think in situations like this, Native versus Hybrid may matter, although it's been so long since I screwed with these that I forget what each should result in.
            Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Working...
            X