Stuck on gray welcome,powering up screen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stuck on gray welcome,powering up screen

I have the Toshiba SD-H400 unit. It is about 3 years old. It recently became more and more "freezy" when watching live TV. I originally thought it was the cable providers service that was messing up. Then it generally "froze" and the only way to fix it was to unplug and restart. Sadly, this no longer works and I am stuck on the "Welcome-Powering Up" gray screen.

From other posts, I believe this is a hard drive failure. I purchased a new 80 GB drive and have not installed it yet. My question is when I do install it, will the unit work (assuming it was the hard drive) or do I have to do something to the hard drive (like format it or whatever) first before I can tell if the unit is working again or not.

I am basically illiterate if I have to format the drive using my PC etc.

Help!!

You've got to format it and install the right TiVo OS for your model on it.

More info is here:

http://tivo.upgrade-instructions.com

But:

a) without a copy of the OS, this is pretty tough. We can reformat here:

http://www.weaknees.com/misc.php

b) only certain 80 GB drives work in this unit, since a drive even one sector smaller than the original drive won't work at all.
    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

My drive

Thanks for the info. I think I'll have to send it to you folks as, like I said before, not confident enough to try to format it myself.

Before I send it to you, however, I was hoping you could tell me if the drive I bought is compatible with my unit (the Ebay seller said it was). It is a Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 S/N: 3JV11PHL, P/N: 9W2003-301, HDA PIN: 100275523, Config: DZA-08, Firmwarte 3.04, Date code: 03393, Site code: AMK.

My unit is a Toshiba SD-H400 Series 2. Thanks!

Comment

We need the drive model number to know for sure.

Comment

Drive model number

How did I miss it?? It is ST380011A. The S may be an 8, but I'm pretty sure it's an S.

Comment

Sorry to say, I don't think that'll work. The image on the SD-H400 is just slightly larger than that drive.

Comment

Hmmmm... Do you folks sell a drive that would be pre-formatted and ready to simply install in my unit? I only need an 80 hour size as I have never even been close to running out of space. What cost would that be? Where could I order that from?

Also, I thought I would also state that when the "welcome, powering up" screen is displayed, none of the front panel lights are on. I assume it could still be the drive, right?

Comment

We do sell drives, but due to the same size problems, the smallest we have is a 160:

http://www.weaknees.com/sdh4.php

Comment

Working...
                X