Installed WeaKnees drive, now all lights on

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Installed WeaKnees drive, now all lights on

I have an old Series 2, 140060, that has a lifetime license. It's had weaknees upgrades many times -- a new WK power supply, a new fan, and a second hard drive, all of which I did myself.

The main hard drive started failing again, so I ordered an upgrade kit from WK. I powered it down on a wood floor, followed instructions carefully, disconnected the second drive from both power and disk cable, and removed the power cable splitter. I couldn't remove the disk cable splitter because I no longer had the original cable. I left the original master drive in its place to the left, to which I'd moved it according to instructions when installing the second drive.

I plugged the new drive in, power cable, disk cable, and fan cable securely in place. I powered it on and got all four lights lit. I powered it off again and tried the far end of the disk cable instead of the near end. Same result.

Before I tried the upgrade, the TiVo was freezing regularly, but it did boot with green lights.

After the upgrade, not only will it not boot from the new drive, it won't boot from the old master drive. No matter what I try, it's all four light on.

Have I managed to fry the motherboard? Is there anything else I can try?

Grr. What a way to spend a Sunday afternoon.

It's possible that you have a bad power supply again. The power supplies in those units are notorious for failures. But when we re-work them here, we do put better parts on them that are unlikely to fail.

But have you tried disconnecting and reconnect the parlex cable that connects the power supply to the motherboard?
    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Yes, I did. No joy. Is there any way I can tell, before I order the new power supply, whether it's likely to help or whether the problem is with the motherboard? At some time it's going to be time to admit failure and just pay the $400 to have a lifetime license put on one of my newer tivos.

Comment

There's really no way to tell short of trying a new power supply.

That part is returnable (with a $15 restocking fee) so there isn't too big of a penalty if that's not it.

How old is the current power supply?

For the TCD140060, we also have a flat-fee repair option which really covers any problem with the unit, and makes sure to preserve your lifetime service:

http://www.weaknees.com/tff-repair.php

Comment

The current power supply dates to 2005. I'll go ahead and order another. Is the additional hard drive also returnable?

Comment

Sure - the restocking fee is basically 15%, minimum $15, so it may be more than $15 on a drive.

Comment

Working...
            X