TIVO series 24004a

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TIVO series 24004a

Recently, the TIVO, with a lifetime subscription, went into the boot loop where it would say almost there and then reset and do it again. I decided to unplug it and let it sit a while. When I plugged it back in, I got no lights at all. It seemed like a power problem so I tried a cord from anther TIVO. It did not work either. Using both cords, I could wiggle the cord and get intermittent power. The fan ran at times, but no lights. I ordered a new hard drive from Weaknees and just installed it. When I plugged in the power cord, the same thing happened but I also saw a spark just inside the case where the power cord attaches. Can the receptacle for the power cord to attach to the case be replaced?

That really sounds like a power supply issue. We have replacements here:

http://www.weaknees.com/tivo-power-supply.php
    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Thanks. I suspect you are correct but want to try to make sure. What exactly is the power supply? Is it the receptacle into which the cord plugs or some other part? The spark I saw was at the back of the receptacle. It looks like there are a couple of little metal strips that connect the receptacle to the rest of the board. Like I mentioned, if you wiggle the power cord, the fan comes on but no lights. Could it just be a connection at the back of the receptacle or is that receptacle the power supply?

Comment

The power supply is the entire board that contains the cord receptacle. We also offer this service, perhaps it is better suited for your needs:

TiVo repair service (Flat-fee)

Comment

There was loose connection between the power cord receptacle and the board. I fixed that today and now the fan works and the hard drive seems to boot up, but there are still no lights on the front of the unit. I am comfortable that I can replace the power supply, but could there be another issue causing the problem.

Comment

Most likely it's the power supply.

Comment

Assuming I decide to just trash this DVR, will the hard drive I bought for this unit work in a Humax DRT 400?

Comment

It would have to be reformatted. We have pricing for that here:

http://www.weaknees.com/misc.php

Comment

Turns out it was a bad capacitor on the power supply. All is well now, however the picture does not fit the tv screen (too large) when watching through the tivo but OK when watching directly from the cable box. I adjusted the aspect ratio but it did no good. Any thoughts?

Comment

That's got to be a setting in the TV, somewhere.

Comment

Working...
                    X