Tivo/Comcast compatibility problems?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tivo/Comcast compatibility problems?

A brief history of my Tivo: Bought a 40 hour Series 2 single tuner Tivo about 5 or 6 years ago with lifetime service. Had extended basic cable service (no cable box), so hooked up a splitter with one output going to Tivo then to TV, and second output going to another input in the TV. Installed a Weaknees replacement hard drive within the last year when Tivo hard drive died.

So here are my problems: Recently upgraded to Comcast Digital HD service. Put a comcast HD DVR on one of our TVs, but the rest of the TV's in the house get signal straight from wall and one TV still has Tivo, so limited service as far as channels available.

A little while ago, we got a message from Comcast saying with the switch to all digital signal, all TV's must have a small converter box in order to receive channels (we recently lost a bunch of channels when they made the switch, but with the converter box, we get a lot more channels). Haven't hooked up the converter box with the Tivo yet because of the following issues:

Need to find my IR transmitter so Tivo can change the channel on the converter box. With the converter box, we get channels up into the 200's. Will the Tivo be able to "see" these channels? When I hit Guide, it only seems to go up to channel 99. Is there something in the Tivo setup that will tell it get Guide info on the higher channels?

Question for my neighbor: They have a dual tuner Tivo. Will they be able to use their Tivo with this converter box?

Yes, your TiVo, and your neighbor's, should work fine with the cable box.

You both need to redo Guided Setup (when you have your IR blaster) so that you can tell the TiVo that it now needs to control a cable box, and that channels are at different places. That'll take care of the higher number channels.

If you need a new IR blaster, we have them here:

http://www.weaknees.com/tivo-cables.php
    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Thanks, but how does a dual tuner Tivo work with a digital cable converter box? I assume to record something, the Tivo changes the channel on the converter box and the converter box has to stay on that channel while it is recording. If the Tivo wants to record another channel at the same time, how does it do that?

Comment

Right - that's how it works.

See our FAQ here:

http://www.weaknees.com/tivo-dual-tuner.php

One recording has to be made over analog cable. If you only have digital cable, you can only record one channel at a time.
        Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Working...
        X