Can't watch live tv

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can't watch live tv

I cannot watch live tv, all I get is a black screen. I can watch previously record shows. My tivo continues recording programs....however it only records a blank screen. Any suggestions?

That has to be some input problem. What model TiVo and what input source? Without more info, I'd guess your cable box is off.
    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Tivo 2 I do not have a cable box. The coax cable goes directly from wall into tivo box. The audio/video cable (the red, white & yellow cables) are connected from the tivo to the tv. I've had tivo for about a year now never had a problem until now.

Comment

This sounds like a dead RF input to me. Can you tune in channels when you send the cable from the wall directly to the TV? If so, that's your answer. If not, you may need to have the cable company out.

As a workaround to a dead RF input, you could always hook up a cable box and use the TiVo's a/v or svideo inputs.

Let us know what you discover.
        That's all there is to it!

Comment

Same problem

I am having the same problem with my series two, tcd240080.
          Can watch already recorded stuff just fine but there is a black screen on live tv.
          We have direct tv and it works fine when you bypass the tivo (but why would I want to do that?)
          I have tried it with the rf, video and svideo connections. In the setup the tivo detects the video source for all three but it does not display the video.
          If it tries to record a new recording the red light comes on but it shows zero minutes in the info for that particular recording. I have reset a couple of times.
          Please help. I don't want to have to resort to downloading all my and my familys content over a half megabit connection. Oh and btw I am not adverse to opening the box and r&r things if it will save my lifetime sub.
          Thanks
          Bernard

Comment

Have you tried re-doing Guided Setup?

Are you sure your account is current and that you are getting guide data? What does it show for the last connection status?

Comment

Ok it fixed itself overnight. My wife says it did this once before. I would still be curious as to what caused it.
              We did the guided setup twice, we reset it twice. I unplugged it once.
              The only thing we didn't do was thew erase everything and start over reset.
              I have a lifetime subscription so it should be current.

Last connection was successful
              Guide data good till June 9 right now.
              Everything works except no audio or video gets through the tivo. It even changes the channel correctly on the DTV receiver.
              Like I said it had fixed itself overnight last night so its not a big issue at the moment but I don't want it to happen on a big tv night.
              Thanks I appreciate your reply
              Bernie

Comment

OK - frankly, that doesn't sound great. You might just have a bad cable and maybe swapping them out is the first step. But you might have a motherboard issue also . . .

Comment

I have swapped all cables.
                  So if it's a motherboard issue then thats it right?
                  Thats the part that they recognize for the lifetime subscription right?
                  Well it's working right now and its been a great run.
                  I would love to get a series three but it wont work with my Direct TV.
                  When we go HD it will probably be with a Dish network dvr. Then I will have to build a myth tv box to have the options for downloaded content.
                  I don't want to, Tivo is way gooder, but living out in the country I guess you have to put up with some tings
                  Thanks very much
                  Bernie
                  Last edited by Berniep; 05-24-2007, 05:54 AM.

Comment

You can send the unit to TiVo for repair if it happens again. They generally charge $150, and they preserve your lifetime service.

Otherwise, if you want HD and TiVo, you should switch to cable and get a Series3 . . . they're excellent!

Comment

No cable for me. At least not in the foreseeable future. Not enough population density around here. We will see fiber optics from the phone company before we see cable out here. Otherwise we would already have a series 3 and would have moved our lifetime sub to it when they offered that. Thank god for wireless ISP or we would have a 18k dialup internet access.

Comment

Working...
                      X