Pops and cracks on playback

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pops and cracks on playback

I'm getting a lot of very loud, annoying pops and cracks on playback. It's definitely not a recording problem since I can hit "instant replay" after hearing some of the pops, and it won't be repeated. It's really interfering with my enjoyment of an otherwise fanastic piece of equipment. Has anyone else encountered this?

That might be an interference issue, or it could be a failing power supply. Have you tried re-routing the external cables in your system?
    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

When you mention re-routing the external cables, exactly what do you mean? Simply move them away from other things? Also, I have my Tivo plugged into an APS. Could that be having any effect?

Comment

Yup - away from other devices. Just try re-routing the cables a bit and see if that helps.
        Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Rerouting

I've tried rerouting the cables a bit and no change. Short of spending a lot of money to buy longer cables, there's not much leeway to reroute them any more. I've also disconnected the APS. A friend is having exactly the same problem. Any other suggestions????

Comment

Can you provide some more detail on precisely how your TiVo's audio is routed to your stereo or television? And have you tried replacing your cables?
            That's all there is to it!

Comment

Problem resolved

Last night I bought and connected an optical audio cable. It may be too soon to claim victory, but I watched three programs last night and not a single pop! Previously, I could rarely watch even one program without a series of pops, so I think the problem is resolved. I did notice one odd side effect, though. While watching a program, the sound effects that accompanied the 30-second skip and instant replay are gone. The sound effects for menu options are still there, though.
              Last edited by ewaits; 02-08-2007, 04:53 AM.

Comment

Glad to hear it. As for the missing SFX, we've definitely noticed that some sounds are gone when the TiVo is outputting Dolby Digital. Nothing to panic about, and if it were me...I'd be grateful.
                That's all there is to it!

Comment

Working...
                X