Series 2 spins up, black screen, flashing light

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Series 2 spins up, black screen, flashing light

As the subject says, I have a Series 2 TCD240080. When I plug it in the fan starts and the hard drive spins up. The TV screen goes flat black, and the left-front power light flashes (or more like flickers) a green/orange thing. It stays that way for hours.

This did happen after a lightning strike. The TiVo's AC power was plugged into a UPS, but the USB<->Ethernet adapter was NOT protected. I've now learned to protect all DC paths, as well (including ethernet, coax, and telephone).

Any ideas as to what broke based on the symptoms above?

You either have a bad power supply alone, or that and a bad motherboard, in my opinion.

If you have lifetime service, there's no question that you should just get our flat-fee repair which will resurrect the unit. Full info is here:

http://www.weaknees.com/tff-repair.php
    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Thanks, Michael.

We actually xferred our lifetime service from this to our Series 3 when we first got that, so we're not locked in. With that, it seems our best bet is to simply purchase a new unit, maybe even a TiVo HD just for future-proofing (as much as that's possible), yes?

Comment

If you don't have lifetime, it is a good bet to just replace the unit.

Comment

sounds reasonable. Is there any market for selling it (even cheaply) in its current state? I hate to just throw it away, but...

Comment

E-recycle is probably the best thing.

Comment

Working...
            X