Series 2 Installation Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Series 2 Installation Question

Does anyone know what this is/ where it goes? There are 3 similar wires/cables that screw into the circuit board, however this one is "extra" there is no screw nearby for it to go to. It seems to be connected to the power led. Someone in my house took out the old drive before I could install our new drive and so I do not know where/what this is. Please Help!

This looks like an SDH400 from the picture. I don't have one open, but you should be able to screw it down to a screw that is screwed into the chassis. It looks like agrounding cable.

Comment

Thanks - can you clarify one thing?

Here is a different angle - yes it is an SD-H400 - you can see in the left part where another cord is screwed into the green part. When you say chassis do you mean the green part or just any portion of the machine - even just the gray casing?

I really appreciate it.

Comment

Ok - updates! I've screwed that wire into a random screw in the chassis. When I power the unit on, the fan comes on - I can hear the hard drive boot up - but the dvd drive won't work now - when I press the open/close button the record light comes on but there is no movement within the system. The on/standby button doesn't seem to work/do anything - not even the light comes on. Please advise.

Comment

Do you get any video out at all?
          Been here a long time . . .

Comment

No I hooked it up directly to one tv and then through a cable box on a diff. tv, I'm starting to get worried. I initially (before the replacement drive from y'all) thought it was just the harddrive b/c it wasn't booting, I don't remember the dvd player not working before. But it's been a while since I've powered up this tivo.

Comment

Sounds to me like a bad power supply. We have them for the Toshiba SD-H400, but they aren't cheap, unfortunately.

http://www.weaknees.com/tivo-power-supply.php

Comment

Thanks for responding - would it be a bad power supply even if the fan and harddrive do turn on?

Comment

Fan, no problem. We see that all the time.

Hard drive - how can you tell?

But, almost always, if you get no video out, not even a "welcome powering up" screen, your TiVo needs a new power supply.

Comment

Ok thanks for your diagnosis - I think I'm going to try to get a machine off of ebay - they are running around $30- $50 there so I can take the power supply off of one of those right?

As for the Hard drive - It hums when I plug the machine in - I can hear it the same way you hear an ipod or an external drive start working.... I assume it's on ?

Comment

OK - humming is good for the drive.

If you can find working ones on eBay at that price, then yes, that's the best way to get a power supply.

Comment

Hello again! I installed a new "used" power supply today and booted the Tivo up - I did get video - but's it's stuck in the Welcome. Powering up... phase - any thoughts? I'm still nervous about that errant black wire....

Comment

I think you might want to confirm that you have a good power supply, and you also could have a drive problem. That wire looks like a ground and wouldn't likely cause you to be stuck on powering up.

Comment

I don't know how to confirm whether I have a good power supply or not - to confuse problems - I get the same screen whether I use my new power supply or my old one (I started getting video today again) OR whether I use my old original harddrive (which doesn't like it's humming/booting up) or the new hard drive - which I received in the mail from you guys - and sounds like it is humming....

Also - no matter what I can't get the DVD player to open/close.

Comment

I'd really suggest our flat fee repair option at this point:

http://www.weaknees.com/tff

Comment

Working...
                              X