Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

is there a way to extract shows from a tivo I plan on using to upgrade another one?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• is there a way to extract shows from a tivo I plan on using to upgrade another one?

I replaced the hard drive in my Series 2 Tivo with a 1TB weaknees drive about a year ago. Everything was working well up until a couple of months ago. The tivo suddenly stopped updating the program schedule. It then gave me errors that it could not connect to the network (using ethernet via usb adapter and also via phone line). After a restart, it only gave me a gray screen with a horizontal line scrolling up. I swapped out the hard drive with the original one and it produced the same result. It is now collecting dust until I decide if I want to tinker with it.
    Needing to record some shows quickly, I bought the low-end HD Tivo. Since it only has a 160GB hard drive, I want to use the upgrade drive from the Series 2.
    The only catch that from a simple reformat and copy is there are a lot of shows on the Series 2 hard drive that I would like to get off of it before I reformat it.
    I have seen dd_rescue and winmfs on several forums for 'cloning' a drive, but I have not seen anything regarding being able to access the shows from the back-up copy you have made. Is there tivo file format reading/converting or transferring software that is able to see these backed up shows for me to use? If I hooked up my Series 2 hard drive to my computer, would I be able to see the files and copy the ones I need and then use software to swap out the HD hard drive?
    I would prefer solutions using a mac, but have seen far more solutions using a pc or running vmware to run a bootable version of some software.
    I have another Series 2 tivo that I can transfer the shows to in case there are compatibility issues with the Series 2 and HD formats.
    I can accept the fact that the shows on the Series 2 tivo are lost, but I wanted to see if there is a chance to save them. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

You can use the TiVo Desktop software to move content from your old TiVo to your PC. Then, you can use the TiVo Desktop Plus software (for an additional cost) to move the content back to another TiVo.

Comment

Will my computer be able to find and access the tivo if it does not start up? Could using the tivo damage the hard drive in any way?

Comment

No, you need a functioning TiVo for the software to see it, and there really is no other way.However, you indicated that your TiVo was just not getting guide data; that's different than not booting up at all.

Comment

I did say that it gave me a gray screen after a subsequent restart to not getting a network connection. I apologize for not stating that it would not boot up.
          Thanks for replying.

Comment

Working...
          X