Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Complete Standalone Tivo newbie... advice?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Complete Standalone Tivo newbie... advice?

I currently have a DirecTivo and am happy with the interface, but not the price with the current economic reality. Family and I (modulo the 9 year old) have about half agreed to dump the dish and go pure OTA + Blockbuster/Netflix/etc.

I do NOT have an HD TV.

My plan was to buy a Tivo Premier, and get an HD antenna set up.

Few questions:

* The Tivo can output component, which my current NON-HD TV can receive. So even though I'm getting an HD signal OTA, I can still play it through the Tivo without problems through the component out... yes? no?

* Will the Tivo + component out be sufficient for an antenna guy to test the signal during installation?

* Assuming I can do the above, the Premier DOES allow me to record at less-than-HD quality, since I can't see it anyway, and that would allow me more recording room/hours, right?

* I have a wireless router (802.11n belkin, but also does B and G), and pulling ethernet to where the Tivo would sit would be onerous at best. Is the Tivo wireless adapter necessary? I mean, I know SOME adapter will be necessary, but am I brand-locked into Tivo for it, or will other USB/Wireless adapters or ethernet-to-wireless bridges work?

* My existing direcTivo has 2 tuners; it looks like I can still record 2 shows while watching a third? Did I read that right?

Many thanks!

Michael
    Last edited by mcampbell; 04-03-2010, 01:47 PM.

Yes - component will work fine.

Yes - they can test the antenna with component output.

The Premiere will record at the broadcast quality - which is usually HD at this point.

You need the TiVo-brand Wifi or an ethernet cable. Other adapters don't work.

Right about the tuners.
    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Working...
    X