Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tivo Freezing - makes humming noise

Hello
    My TCD240080 (new hard drive is approximately 1.5 years old) has started to freeze. But along with the freezing, the fan's (also replaced 1.5 years ago) start to get loud and make obnoxioius noises. I reboot my Tivo, and everything works great, then my fans get loud and my Tivo will freeze-up. Sometimes slapping the slide of the tivo will get the fans to quite down. The tivo is in a very cool and well ventilated area.
    Could this be a powersupply issue? To me, I am not 100% satisified that the problem is with the hard drive, as it will boot-up perfectly everytime.
    Any ideas?
    Brad

Pretty strange. It could be a power supply, but it could be a bad fan, actually.

Does the machine feel very hot when the unit freezes?

I'd probably try a new fan first to see if that helps.
    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Mike -
      tonight (after a reboot as it was blank screen when I got home) everything worked fine for an hour, then it started to freeze up and the screen would go blank (black). I would reboot, then the same thing woudl happen much quicker the second time.
      does this give you an more indication if it might be a Hard Drive vs Power supply? if you were me, what would you buy first?
      Regards,
      Brad

Comment

You can run a drive test yourself--see the kickstart 54 test here:

TiVo Kickstart Codes

Comment

Update: I used instantcake on a new single drive hoping that the issue was with one of my two hard drives (purchased through Weaknees upgrade). The instantcake part seemed to go OK, and I hooked up my single new drive (jumped as master, etc) and when I powered up my tivo I could not get past the "Welcome. Powering up..." screen.
          so I put back my original two drives that were in there (afterall, I could get them to power up fine all the time, it was just after they were powered up they would skip sometimes) and the same deal!!!.... can't get paste that "Welcome. Powering up..." message.
          Now I don't know what to do.
          any ideas?

Comment

If you're getting that with several drives, then the next most likely failing part is your power supply.

We have replacements here:

TiVo Power Supplies
            Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Hello-
              As always, thanks for your help.
              I have an old 240080 up in the rafters, and I will grab that to see about swapping out powersupplies.
              thanks so much for your troubleshooting help. I have been a loyal weaknees customer and will continue to be so.
              Regards,
              Brad

Comment

Working...
              X