Hughes SD-DVR40

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hughes SD-DVR40

I have two of these units and one of them started having the picture freeze. Never while watching programming but when I would turn on the TV after not watching for a few days it looked like the screen was paused, but the remote wouldn't unfreeze it. I would have to unplug the unit and let it reboot. This went on for a few months, it would maybe do it once a month not all that often. Then the other day I turned the TV on and I saw the Blue DirecTV screen that says "Almost there, just a few more minutes..."

It sat like that for awhile and I tried unpluging the power and letting it reboot, I would get the grey Powering up screen and then it would hang at the blue DirecTV screen and not progress any further.

I ended up ordering a replacement drive from Weakness and when I opened up the case to put the new drive in I noticed a small spot of brown (looked like burn marks on some of the white isulating foam on the powersupply (on top of the green transistor looking thing). I put the new hard drive in no problem but this didn't solve my problem.

Could this possibly be a bad power supply or am I looking at something like a motherboard problem?

I get a green light on the front of the unit and the fan does spin and I think I hear the hard drive start to spin up.

What you are seeing on the power supply is not indicative that the power supply is bad; we see that all the time on good units as well.

You might want to double (triple) check your installation, and also double-check your receipt to be sure you ordered the right drive.

If the drive didn't solve your problem it could be a power supply or motherboard...but the brown discoloration doesn't indicate a bad ps (but it could still be bad, of course).

Comment

My order number with you guys was 730810, I am pretty sure I got the right drive, but if you could double check for me that would be great.

I have triple checked the installation and followed the directions to a T.

Only other thing I was thinking of trying was to see if switching the new HDD into the identical DVR that I have set up in my den to make sure that the drive works correctly in that unit.

I have checked power connection from power supply to motherboard, IDE cable connections on HDD and Motherboard etc...

It may have just given up the ghost

Comment

Yup - that order number is for the Hughes SD-DVR series. So that's good.

Go ahead and try the drive in your other unit and see what you get.
        Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Working...
        X