Pioneer TiVo Crashes- HDD? Power? OS?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pioneer TiVo Crashes- HDD? Power? OS?

This one is really weird. At first I thought it was a software upgrade because it seemed to come out of nowhere, then went away for a month or so, and has come back with a vengeance these past few weeks.

Pioneer TiVo with DVD burner works fine for all intents and purposes. Nice and fast navigation. Sits on top of a bureau in the bedroom, under a flat screen.

It will, with no rhyme or reason, crash. I can tell this has happened because the clock freezes. So at 2:36 am, it froze. I see it at 7 am. No buttons do anything. Most freezes have a black image when I switch inputs on the TV to see the TiVo. But if I was watching something, pause it, and then forget about it, the TiVo has crashed while in pause, with the image still up there. But that's rare because I usually finish watching a show, back out to menu, and then switch the TV back to its internal tuner.

The only "solution" is yank the power out of the back of the TiVo, wait a moment and plug it back in. The display goes through the normal sequence, but, for a time, it says something like "no hard drive" but, after a while it finishes booting up and everything works fine. Recorded shows look fine.

I've had to yank the power as many as 3 times in one day, and then it can go several days just fine. Average is about once a day, or every other day. So it _works_ but it crashes and it has missed recording programs because it had crashed and I didn't notice it. I've never had it crash while I was using it. I'd like it to not crash.

I can get a replacement hard drive, no problem, but I'm really unsure about this because I would _expect_ that the clock freezing on a moment in time is not a hard drive issue, or a power supply issue. So I wonder if someone else has experienced this and has advice to offer.

I'd suggest you try a new drive, or you can also run a drive test. See:

TiVo Drive Test

Run the kickstart 54 test.

Comment

HDD test

will do.......

Comment

Can't get there from here

I tried 5 times to get my Pioneer (with DVD burner) to go into the KickStart mode and it just doesn't do it.

The KickStart instructions say, "For units with DVD: Hold Pause until both lights go out, then the right light goes red."

I get both lights, they go out, and then the unit goes to the TiVo screen and the "Please Stand By, just a few moments more" which leads right to the home screen (aafter a few minutes.)

I was pressing the pause button so long, I actually noticed that the remote stopped sending. So I tried again, repressing the remote every 30 seconds or so. Then I tried again, rebooting from within the TiVo menu system. Every time, I get the two lights, and then the main screen.

So I can't ever get to a place where I enter the codes, unless it's so fast and fleeting that I'm just plain missing it, and then the boot up continues on like normal.

What now?

Comment

Then the next best way to test is really just to try a new drive. Our drives are returnable (see our returns page) if they don't do the trick.

We've got a list of drives for your Pioneer 810H.
          Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Hrm, As an existing customer, I can get a refurb TivoHD for $99. Kills 3 birds with one stone:
            it works
            built in ethernet
            hd recording

Comment

A fine plan so long as you understand that lifetime service (if you have it) doesn't transfer.

Comment

I don't have it. But they did offer a lower monthly than I was paying. Why is it you have to threaten to cancel anything to get lower rates for the same service. (rhetorical)

Comment

Yup - that seems to be the key . . .
                  Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Working...
                  X