X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bobharp
    replied
    Did. But will try again. Just tried switching from the RGB to HMDI.

Lifetime service on my S3.
    Service options?

Leave a comment:

• WK-Jeff
    replied
    You might try checking the signal levels of your cable signal coming into the TiVo. You can also pull the cable signal and see if it still reboots.

Leave a comment:

• bobharp
    replied
    Ok. So I've been having the reboot loop.
    Nothing has fixed it so far.
    I ran the kickstart routines.
    Tested the drives.
    Replaced the power supply (via weaKnees).
    Removed my external storage.
    Removed cable cards.

Any other thoughts?

Leave a comment:

• RachelZ3
    replied
    When i get back

I was already on the way to the airport...
    When I get back I will check the lights- many thanks for help.

I'll be back late on September 2nd.

Leave a comment:

• WK-Michael
    replied
    Originally posted by RachelZ3 View Post
    Well the RCN guy was here and tried the stuff on the first page and everything just went black, He said he heard a clicking sound coming from the Tivo Box when it had power and not when it was without. So seems to have died on the spot.

I leave the country in a few hours so not much I can do.

I wonder if i can salvage any of my recordings?

Drat, can't even slingbox
    Then that sounds like a bad power supply. Recordings might be salvageable.

Any lights on the front?

Replacement power supplies are here:

http://www.weaknees.com/ps

Leave a comment:

• RachelZ3
    replied
    Originally posted by WK-Michael View Post
    Not sure if that will help, but there's new info about these issues here:

http://blog.tivo.com/2011/08/new-fcc...to-cablecards/
    Well the RCN guy was here and tried the stuff on the first page and everything just went black, He said he heard a clicking sound coming from the Tivo Box when it had power and not when it was without. So seems to have died on the spot.

I leave the country in a few hours so not much I can do.

I wonder if i can salvage any of my recordings?

Drat, can't even slingbox

Leave a comment:

• WK-Michael
    replied
    Not sure if that will help, but there's new info about these issues here:

http://blog.tivo.com/2011/08/new-fcc...to-cablecards/

Leave a comment:

• RachelZ3
    replied
    Just in case

I called RCN (you know how frustrating that is) and the good news is that they are sending someone on Monday who supposedly will bring new cards.
    The bad news is that they'll charge me $50 if they think the problem is not my cable cards.
    Oy.

Leave a comment:

• RachelZ3
    replied
    Series 3 rebooting

Originally posted by WK-Michael View Post
    The 2007 info is really pretty out of date - it's related largely to software versions that aren't in use.

I do think that TiVo is probably right about the attenuation issue. We often see that. So the easiest thing to do would be Radio Shack - it's not an expensive part, and it could solve the issues.
    I was just about to follow the advice from 2007 when I read this message. So should I try pulling the cards or no?

My problem:
    Back in May or June my channels started getting blocky or cutting out, I called RCN and after doing all their nonsense they were sending someone out and promised he'd bring new cards.
    Of course he didn't bring new cards. He had some defective cards. He was a nice guy and felt bad for me so he called someone and together they "fixed" these defective cards and installed them and things were fine for a while. Then I left for a summer vacation and watched my Tivo Series 3 via Slingbox. That was fine for a while and then the rebooting started.
    I found this thread and thought there was nothing I could do until I got home. Now I am home and reading the thread more carefully, find the info above.

I see it cuts out during my soap operas on ABC. I see it comes back online often after 10 pm. I assume if I call RCN they will say it's a Tivo problem.

help?

Leave a comment:

• WK-Michael
    replied
    The kickstart 54 is a diagnosis-only tool. It will not repair problems. Frankly, any tool that says it can repair physical problems on a hard drive is probably nonsense. Once a drive starts failing, the end is near.

The 57 can sometimes fix software corruption issues.

The 54 is likely to complete if it starts, yes. It doesn't use the full OS, just a small few lines of code, so it should be stable.

Leave a comment:

• drspock
    replied
    TiVo HD Continously Rebooting

I'm new to this forum and will start by saying that my 18 month old TiVo HD (Model TCD652160) started to show problems immediately after a windstorm caused an overnight power outage at my house. My TiVo is plugged into a surge protector, along with my HDTV and DVD player, so when the power came back on I was relieved to find my TV seemed to be working OK via the cable input, but when I switched to TiVo HDMI input there was a blank white screen! I tried rebooting and it booted all the way up to the "Now Playing" screen and I was happy to see that all my recordings were still there - then it went into a reboot cycle again. This time it couldn't get past the Welcome screen before rebooting again.

Several times since I have tried disconnecting everything, leaving it off overnight and plugging it into a different power outlet. Sometimes it would boot all the way up (once I even watched a one hour recorded program and then it rebooted) other times it couldn't get past the "Almost There" screen. Now it only gets to the Welcome screen before rebooting a couple of times and then ends up at the blank white screen.

Now after reading some of this thread I am curious to try Kickstart 54 and Overnight and would like to know - can these programs fix problems in any way or do they just give a Pass or Fail result? Also is the Overnight likely or not to run to completion on a TiVo that is having such frequent reboot problems? What happens when Kickstart is finished - do you unplug and power up again to force a normal reboot or do something with the remote or what?

Leave a comment:

• WK-Michael
    replied
    Great - glad that did the trick!

Leave a comment:

• Bobco
    replied
    My unit started rebooting. If I pulled CableCard 2, it would boot fine. Insert CableCard 2, rebooting sequence starts with continual rebooting. Base on the forums, I decided to try replcaing the Power Supply and ordered one from Weaknees. Installed it and WOW, PROBLEM SOLVED!

Leave a comment:

replied
    Thanks! I will swap out the capacitor and see if it fixes it. If that does not work I will pick up a new one from you guys.

Leave a comment:

• WK-Michael
    replied
    The bulging top on the capacitor is a pretty clear indicator of a power supply problem. We even have some pictures of those here:

http://www.weaknees.com/bps

I'm pretty sure you just need a new power supply:

http://www.weaknees.com/tivo-power-supply.php

Leave a comment:

Working...
X