X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WK-Michael
    replied
    Top problem there would be a bad drive. Next most likely is a bad CableCARD.

Leave a comment:

• Homco
    replied
    Originally posted by pninen View Post
    No. Well, no stuttering or pixellation, but I'm not exactly sure what you mean by freezing, so let me be explicit. The event always goes down like this: First the playback stops. The image on the screen is frozen, and sound ceases. Four seconds go by. Then the TiVo begins a reboot. Each time I've seen this it has been during playback of an SD recording. Have never seen it while watching HD, and have never seen it while on a TiVo menu. Is that what you call a "freeze"?

This EXACT thing just started happening to me, and the "freezing" is happening more and more every day.

What did you ever find out about this and the solution? I have a TiVo HD model #TCD652160

Leave a comment:

• WK-Jeff
    replied
    Find a dial-in number here:

http://www3.tivo.com/tivo-misc/popfinder.do

Then in the dialing prefix of your TiVo, enter

,#019,,XXXXXXXX

Replace the Xs with the number you got from above, and enter it as you would dial it on your phone.

The comma is the pause button on the remote; # is the enter button.

Leave a comment:

• Teresalp
    replied
    Tech Challenged with my tivo

My tivo is stuck on trying to reset itself. I went into complete this task because I too was getting an error message that my tivo cannot connect to the number.

I read where we have to go in and put another one in- I am not sure how to do this at all.

I put in my 614 area code and then it says it will find a tivo number.. I guess it cannot find it.

It wont record today since I did this and I cannot even go in and watch what I have on there.
    I have powered it down several times. Also I have a dial tone on my phone line until Tivo tries to call.

Can someone give me step by step directions? I am so frustrated with this
    How do I atleast get back to the main screen?

Leave a comment:

• techgeek
    replied
    if it rebooting after you put the cable cards in try leaving them out for a day or so to see if it stops rebooting because faulty cable cards and adapters could cause it to reboot.

Leave a comment:

• hungry1
    replied
    reboot. .

My reboots seem to be associated with using the Raphsody software from Tivo.

Is there anyway to un-install it?

Thanks,
    Lee

Leave a comment:

• WK-Michael
    replied
    That sounds a lot more like a bad drive. Sometimes, bad drives run for months, but a new OS update takes them down because it uses a different part of the drive that has more problems.

But, either way, a new drive is likely to get you back up and running.

Replacement TiVo Series3 drives

Leave a comment:

• WK-Jeff
    replied
    It sure doesn't sound like software to me...sounds like a bad drive or, if the pixellation was occurring 100% of the time after those 15 minutes, it could be a motherboard or heat-related issue. It is pretty hard to know for sure.

Leave a comment:

• ahssung
    replied
    Originally posted by WK-Jeff View Post
    Do you see any other indications of a bad drive, such as freezing, stuttering, pixellation, during playback?
    Just last night my S3 broke down and has been continually rebooting itself. There was freezing, stuttering and pixellation during live TV. I was able to watch about 15-20 minutes of HD before the suttering began again. Also the reboot is slow and not always successful. At the Tivo screen, the icon in the upper left also appears to shutter, and will then either finish booting or crash & reboot again.

I think the hard drive was close to full but I was able to delete several programs, which seemed to help get it back up. But it failed again within 1 hour.

We've had this S3 for 9 months with not issue. Could this be a recent update vs bad drive?

Leave a comment:

• WK-Jeff
    replied
    Originally posted by pninen View Post
    I boxed up the S3 and sent it to WK this morning for repair (R207441).
    Sounds good...we'll see for ourselves soon enough. Sorry for the difficulty.

Leave a comment:

• pninen
    replied
    Originally posted by WK-Jeff View Post
    Do you see any other indications of a bad drive, such as freezing, stuttering, pixellation, during playback?
    No. Well, no stuttering or pixellation, but I'm not exactly sure what you mean by freezing, so let me be explicit. The event always goes down like this: First the playback stops. The image on the screen is frozen, and sound ceases. Four seconds go by. Then the TiVo begins a reboot. Each time I've seen this it has been during playback of an SD recording. Have never seen it while watching HD, and have never seen it while on a TiVo menu. Is that what you call a "freeze"?

Has been happening more often every day. Last night it happened about 5 times within a period of a few hours. (each time while watching a different program) I gave up trying to watch recorded programs.

I boxed up the S3 and sent it to WK this morning for repair (R207441).

Oh... and here's another funky symptom that happened Saturday night. I was watching Saturday Night Live (HD) from the TiVo while it was being recorded. I noticed a funny blue cast on some faces. Walked up to the TV and looked closely. Damn. The blue portion of the image was shifted to the right 4 inches (on my 49 in TV). Red and green were aligned properly, but blue was shifted. If you looked to the right of each person's head about 4 inches you could see the edge of a blue shadow. How easy this was to see depended strongly on the background. (As you probably know, there's not much luminance in the blue channel, so when things go wrong with blue it is subtle.) Strange, eh? I switched the TV to watching directly from cable, and SNL looked just fine. View from the TiVo however, and you see this strange blue shadow. That recording is probably still on the TiVo, so you can see for yourself tomorrow. This might just be a one time glitch, or maybe it is symptomatic of whatever is going wrong with the box. I've heard about sound getting out of sync, but I've never heard anyone describe blue getting out of sync with red and green! I turned the TV off and back on to see if this was some HDMI problem. No change. Went back to TiVo main menu and restarted the program to see if this was something that got out of sync during playback. No, it seems to always be there. Power cycled the TiVo and looked again. Its permanent in the recording. Damn strange.
    Last edited by pninen; 09-25-2007, 11:17 PM.

Leave a comment:

• WK-Jeff
    replied

Leave a comment:

• pninen
    replied
    Bought S3 (from WK) December'06. No problems until a month ago. At that time random reboots started occuring during playback. I have noticed that if I play the same recorded program during which it once rebooted, it will reboot again at the same point in the recorded program.

I tried the "kickstart 57" as recommended by several folk on the tivocommunity forum. That obviously didn't help, as it did one of the random reboots within a half an hour.

Tonite I followed the instructions from WK-Jeff at the top of this thread. I then played an episode of Cheers which caused a reboot earlier this evening. BAM! It caused a reboot again.

So what do you think? Bad hard drive? People keep saying that freezes and reboots are caused by bad hard drives, but this seems so strange to me. Surely the TiVo programmers would handle bad sectors more smoothly than to just reboot, eh?

Leave a comment:

• goethe_sf
    replied
    waitin for new HD box

Thanks for the post. I coordinated with Tivo to swap the box with a replacement. I'll post on the update after 30 days with the new 2nd box.

Leave a comment:

• WK-Jason
    replied
    It does sound like the unit is having problems. If the TiVo was rebooting prior to installation of the CableCARDS, you should have it (or its drive) swapped out.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X