Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Really, that could be either (or even both) the power supply or hard drive.

Power supply diagnosis information is here:

http://www.weaknees.com/bps

and hard drive test info is here:

http://www.weaknees.com/54
    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

• Originally posted by resinomer View Post
      Ok, I've started the repeated reboot loop on my Series 3. With both cable cards out of the box it seems to work fine. I can see/pause/review live tv. I can watch recorded shows both HD and SD. As soon as I plug in CableCard 1, the box reboots, but goes through to the main menu and allows the cablecard recognition to occur. No reboots seem to happen with just one card. Plugging in the second card again causes an instant reboot and then the looping starts after a few hours of operation. Drive or Power supply??
      I'm having the exact same issue with my Series 3. Over the summer it wouldn't boot after a power outage. I found this thread and tried the process described. Thankfully I was able to get it to work again with both cable cards. However, after another recent power outage, I haven't been able to get it to work with both cards.

I'm thinking about trying to replace the power supply myself - I hope it works.

Comment

• Please see our power supply diagnosis info here:

http://www.weaknees.com/bps

That'll give you a pretty good idea about whether it needs replacing or not.

Comment

• Reboot with 2nd cable card

I have the same issue. Replaced drive, replaced bad capacitors and I can only get 1 cable card through the guide set up.

Every time I put the 2nd cable card the system reboots and gets in a boot cycle. I do not want to spend money on a new power supply if I do not have to. Again, all capacitors look good. Only 1 2200uF 25V capacitor needed to be replaced.

Any ideas are greatly appreciated.

Comment

• In our experience this problem is power supply related. We can't guarantee it, but you might have problems with your power supply that go beyond a blown capacitor. I can't guarantee it, but that's where I would start.

Comment

• It worked! In post #257 - I said that my Series 3 wouldn't work with both cards...just one.

I just replaced the power supply (which was very easy) and it is back up and running smoothly.

Thanks, Weaknees!

Comment

• Glad to hear it--thanks for the feedback!

Comment

• Wow, finally got it to work

Well after breaking down and purchasing a new power supply and 14 days later I have both cable cards recognized. To soon to tell if I get rebooting. I guess if you see no update from me, all is good. Otherwise i will continue to post my saga.

Comment

• OK - you're off to a good start, at least.

Comment

• Looks like hurricane Sandy has taken a non-human, my TiVo S3 TCD648250. Lost power for five days in NYC and when power returned, TiVo was fine for about a week. Eventually started to get stuttering playback so did the S.M.A.R.T. test and showed three fails on the primary drive. Eventually, TiVo went into a reboot loop and I could no longer access the central screen. Ordered a replacement 2.5 TB drive from WK, but after installation, never gets past the "Powering Up" screen. Have now ordered a new power supply - but then saw this forum talking about cable cards (I have two) and wanted to make sure I'm on the right track. When the power supply is replaced should I try the original drive, or do the test fails confirm it is really dead (I'd love to rescue some shows)? Are cable cards problematic or just an indication of existing TiVo issues? Thanks!

Comment

• Is my HD unit repairable? for several months it has been the unsolicited reboots, yesterday in the middle of watching a stored program, everything went dark, no video no audio. Problem persists, I have it connected to an antenna, and the HDMI output is connected to a TV monitor (Samsung LED). To test the monitor, I moved the antenna lead to the TV antenna jack, all is well on the TV.
                        I would just chuck this, but I opted for the lifetime subscription at the time of purchase. We need a TIVO. Once you use a DVR you can NEVER go back.

I think the box now has two problems, the 2/3 daily reboots (what a pain!) and now the AV output issue.

On the reboot issue, I inspected the power supply capacitors, they look clean with no ruptures or swelling. I tried a temporary hard drive, sporadic reboots still occurred. I switched the original drive back into the unit.

Any ideas of what my next step should be? I really don't wish to deal with TIVO support ever again, so what do you folks think is wrong and what options do I have?

thanks

Comment

• No cable cards in this setup. Over the air TV works fine for us here in a metropolitan area. Reboot occurs when recording or not and when playing DVR content and also with the real time TV signal.
                          Use to have a TIVO wireless internet adapter connected, now we have have a direct cable connection to our home network. rebooting occurs with either internet setup.
                          After reboot cycle has completed, I check the internal temp. vial the system mode, indicates normal 36 deg C.
                          I have the a/c input sourced via an APC line regulator device (Line-R). Don't think its line fluctuations, etc.
                          My gut feeling is that one of the power supply output level is at the edge and the DVR circuitry is tripping and calling for the reboot, but I don't know this for sure.

BTW: The no audio/video has been resolved. After perhaps hundreds of reboots, yesterday for the first time, the reboot cycle did not complete. It hung.
                          So, after removing and reconnecting the TIVO power plug the startup cycle restarted and finished successfully, voilla, I see and hear both OTA and DVR content on my TV monitor.
                          Now if only that reboot issue would go away and STAY AWAY.

So the problem is not the input power, not the hard drive, not cable cards, not the antenna input, not related to something during recording, not related seemingly to anything exterior to the box.
                          Leaving, the box. This is a Weaknees forum, can I ask here if there is a money back guarantee if I purchase the appropriate replacement power supply board and the reboot problem persists?
                          Awaiting words of wisdom from the gurus on this forum.
                          thanks
                          ed
                          Last edited by efields40; 01-05-2013, 07:33 PM.

Comment

• I've read many of the posts and am in the same boat with my S3. I just replaced my power supply which immediately fixed a vastly distorted video problem but now find I am stuck in a rolling boot. I ran kickstart 54 SMART test and everything passed. I don't have any cable cards as I use OTA on this unit. I have tried removing the antenna cable and that did nothing.

I have the original 250GB drive and the WD expander installed. Does anyone have any ideas? I too have lifetime on this and need to get it working to preserve my multi unit status and discounts.

Help!

Comment

• well, its been about a month since I posted my problem. No suggestions forthcoming. Posting here seems to be like shouting down a pipe. thanks for your time.

Comment

• Originally posted by Beno61 View Post
                                I've read many of the posts and am in the same boat with my S3. I just replaced my power supply which immediately fixed a vastly distorted video problem but now find I am stuck in a rolling boot. I ran kickstart 54 SMART test and everything passed. I don't have any cable cards as I use OTA on this unit. I have tried removing the antenna cable and that did nothing.

I have the original 250GB drive and the WD expander installed. Does anyone have any ideas? I too have lifetime on this and need to get it working to preserve my multi unit status and discounts.

Help!
                                You really need to try the overnight tests. The SMART tests are very, very basic. The overnight is much more comprehensive.

And this really does sound like a drive problem.

Comment

Working...
                                X