• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You should definitely try a new power supply before you give up:

http://www.weaknees.com/ps
    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

• I sent my Tivo to you a few months ago. I replaced the CableCard as you thought that was the problem and did not see any issue with the power supply or anything else that you checked... It was fine when you sent it back to me and I replaced the cable card... now, after a few months the thing powers up and then after 10-15 minutes goes into a reboot loop. Just says, "Welcome! Powering Up..." then screen goes black and then "Welcome! Powering up..." comes back.. I need to unplug the Tivo for a while before I can get it to boot up properly and then after 10-15 minutes it just dies.

I have replaced the hard drive in this thing 4 times already... I replaced the cable card... not really sure what else to do. It has lifetime service on it.. I would love to get this thing fixed...

Thanks,
      Jeff

Comment

• Have you tried disconnecting network and USB devices? Sometimes those can cause a reboot loop.

What's the exact TiVo model?

Comment

• I only have Ethernet connected for program data. No USB devices. I will try to power of up again tonight without the Ethernet.

Its is TiVo HD. TCD something.. I am at work I will let you know when I get home.

Thanks

Comment

• Originally posted by WK-Michael View Post
            You should definitely try a new power supply before you give up:

http://www.weaknees.com/ps
            I purchased a new power supply and was really confident that this would solve my problems. However in less than 24 hours, I've had two reboots. I think it's time to purchase a new Tivo. My only survived for 5 years which is really disappointing. Am I able to return the power supply and hard drive I purchased?

Comment

• Rebooting on Roamio

Hello Michael,

Have you heard of any rebooting issues on the Roamio? I recently purchased the Roamio Plus and it rebooted on me twice today. After all the issues I went through with my Series 3 DVD (see below) I'm very sad to see my brand new device rebooting. Plus I get a lot of TiVO service errors on the new device.

I'm also wondering if my old TiVo might have been OK and something else was the issue. I've had TiVo for 9 years in the same home so I would imagine my set up is fine. But after trying a new hard drive, power supply, power cord and cable card for my Series 3, I was not encouraged when Roamio started rebooting.

Originally posted by Jayellezee View Post
              Hello,

I'm about ready to give up on Tivo. I've had my second Tivo, the Tivo Series 3 HD XL, for about 4 years now. I am having a similar problem as others in this thread. My Tivo constantly reboots itself. It happens so often that I can't link it to any one action. Sometimes it's when I'm playing something back, sometimes it's when the TV is off, sometimes it's when I hit the Tivo button. Some days it will reboot as often as 5x per hour, other days it won't reboot at all. I've read through this post and have tried the following (in order):

-Replaced the hard drive with one purchased from WeaKnees
              -Replaced the power cord (a cheap one off eBay)
              -Followed the steps outlined in the first post
              -Replaced the CableCard (Comcast)

Nothing has solved my problem. This just began happening about 6 months ago and I can't think of anything else in my set up that has changed. Do you have any other suggestions for me? Are there any other steps you recommend I try before ditching my Tivo? With the Lifetime Membership I paid about $900 for this thing and it only lasted 4 years.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Comment

• We have not heard reports of rebooting issues with these units. I'd suggest you give TiVo a call and see if they can shed some light on the problem. If you can, you might try removing the cable signal from the back of the unit and running it without live TV--just to see if performance changes any.

Comment

• I have 2 Tivo series 3 that the hard drives failed within a few months of each other and I imaged 2 new drives at different times WD AV-GP 2 TB AV Video Hard Drive WD20EURS and one of the series 3 works great.
                  I also replaced the bulging caps on the power supply boards. One of the series 3 tivo was stuck in the powering up screen, new problem. I tried unplugging the fan and the tivo works with no problems, so i bought a new fan and tried it and still stuck in powering up screen and reboots. I checked the voltages and they are good.
                  What I did was connected the fan directly to the power supply board 7.5 volts pins bypassing the mother board and everything is working. I have used it for about 2 months and it's been working (No Problems).

Do you think it's the power supply board or the mother board?

Thank you Rick

Comment

• Originally posted by toshirick View Post
                    I have 2 Tivo series 3 that the hard drives failed within a few months of each other and I imaged 2 new drives at different times WD AV-GP 2 TB AV Video Hard Drive WD20EURS and one of the series 3 works great.
                    I also replaced the bulging caps on the power supply boards. One of the series 3 tivo was stuck in the powering up screen, new problem. I tried unplugging the fan and the tivo works with no problems, so i bought a new fan and tried it and still stuck in powering up screen and reboots. I checked the voltages and they are good.
                    What I did was connected the fan directly to the power supply board 7.5 volts pins bypassing the mother board and everything is working. I have used it for about 2 months and it's been working (No Problems).

Do you think it's the power supply board or the mother board?

Thank you Rick
                    If you have one working S3 and one nonworking S3, why not try the working S3 power supply in the nonworking unit and see if it fixes your fan issue?

Comment

• Hi Michael,

This post is a reply to follow up on a post I did a while back which can be found here:
                      http://www.wkforums.com/forums/showt...1442#post21442

You requested I try to disconnect USB and Ethernet. I have been so swamped with travel and work I just left the Tivo unplugged the last few months, it's been rather annoying to troubleshoot constantly. Anyway I plugged it in today and it booted up and got to the welcome animation and before it finished it rebooted... no ethernet was connected. I know for sure the box needs to download updated program guide data and I need to call the company to reactivate the cable card.

But this problem is still occurring... what does a motherboard issue look like? You said the power supply looks fine when you checked the box after I sent it to you over the summer.

TCD652160

Thanks again for your help. I am really hoping that I can get this thing working properly... my free cable box promotion is expiring at the end of the month and Cable Card is $4 cheaper a month... so I really would like to get this working so I can return the cable box.

Thanks,
                      Jeff

Comment

• Hello? You are moderating posts but I'd still like to get my problem resolved... I posted on Sunday and it is still not approved... I tried rebooting without the cable card and going through guided setup, but as soon as I get to the menu the thing reboots on me. Barely lasts 10 seconds before it restarts!

of course this post shows up immediately.....

Please help!

Comment

• Sounds like a bad drive. I really don't remember your specific situation - what did we do to the unit while it was here?

Comment

• Originally posted by WK-Michael View Post
                            Sounds like a bad drive. I really don't remember your specific situation - what did we do to the unit while it was here?
                            I sent it to you because of this problem. You checked everything and said it was fine I have replaced the drives multiple times already. I can try again... wondering if I can buy a recomended drive from you that does not have anything on it. I am familiar with moving recordings and software from one drive to another. The weird thing is I am able to always read from bad drives. Wondering if I am just using the wrong ones?

Comment

• Are they AV drives? Are they brand new?

Comment

• Hi, My Tivo Series 3 began rebooting repeatedly. I followed the steps in the original post, and it seems to be working fine with one cable card, but immediately reboots when I insert the second cable card. Any thoughts?
                                Thanks,
                                -Dan

Comment

Working...
                                X