Tivo HD - Kickstart won't run

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tivo HD - Kickstart won't run

I have standard, non modified, Tivo HD with WD Tivo expander drive. Occasionally I experience a screen freeze on a recorded show. After the freeze the Tivo reboots normally. When this happens you can watch the recording to the same point of the freeze, and it will freeze and reboot again.

Reading the forums this seems to indicate a hard drive issue and running Kickstart 54, 57, or 58 might help. In attempting to run Kickstart I am successful in getting to the Green, Yellow, and Red LEDs lit and can enter the code. The Tivo then seems to act correctly in rebooting and giving the Installing Update message, GSOD. The GSOD stays up for a few minutes and then the Tivo reboots and ends up back to the GSOD. It does this over and over again until I power the unit down.

Based on the forums, I expected to get to a screen to run disk diagnostics on either the internal or external drive. I think I have a drive problem, but am not sure which one needs replaced and was hoping the Kickstart diagnostics would tell me.

Any suggestions?

If you're stuck in a GSOD loop, then you basically need a new hard drive - almost definitely. That may not be the only problem, but it certainly is one of the problems.
    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

I got a new WK internal hard drive and the Tivo came right up to guided setup and everything is fine. I then attached my External Drive (same on that was on the system when it died) and couldn't get past the powering on screen. I dismantled the drive and hooked it up to my PC and ran the WD diagnostics which found no problems with the drive. I then hooked up the old internal drive to the PC and ran diagnostics and there were no problems found. Thinking there is no problem with the drive, I re-assembled the external drive and hooked it up to the Tivo. After a reboot the external drive was found and now everything is OK.

My question is regarding the old internal drive. Since WD diagnostics found no problems is it now OK? Was there something else wrong with the old internal drive when the Tivo had problems (like OS trashed)? Is it advisable to keep the old internal drive as a back up?

Comment

If the drive passed the diagnostic tests, it's likely ok...but if it doesn't boot, then you likely have software corruption.

Comment

Working...
        X