Tivo White Screen Of Death

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tivo White Screen Of Death

Last night we had a storm and a power outage, when the lights came back on my TiVo DT TCD649080 went to the first powering up screen, then the second one and after a few seconds went to a completely white screen. The remote didn't respond and the green light never flickered nor did any other light on the Tivo, with the remote.

I unplugged it and after an hour or so plugged it back in, it went to the first powering up screen and then after 10-15 seconds went straight to the blank white screen. No words, no movement, just a whitish gray screen with no response.

A few months ago I installed a new WD 1TB HDD (that went smoothly considering).
    I just used WD diagnostics for my specific HDD and did a diagnostics on the HDD which took about 2 hours and it finished with no errors.

Now I would normally question the HDD as the culprit, however after the diagnostics and the fact of the power outage I'm assuming it's either the power supply or the motherboard.

The motherboard doesn't look fried, (It looks the same as the last time I opened it up to replace the HDD) however there's some browning on a part of the power supply (Picture included).

I've searched all over the internet and though I have found people with the same problem in forums, they've mostly just posted their problem and never responded back.

Any help anyone can give will be very much appreciated, I feel like I'm between a rock and a hard place.

Thanks in advance,
    -David
    Attached Files

That power supply certainly doesn't look good. And your symptoms do sound like a situation where the unit can't power up the drive. So I'd try a new power supply - no guarantees, but it's the most likely possibility.

We also have a flat fee option here:

http://www.weaknees.com/tff
    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Update White Screen Of Death

I hate to say it but I certainly put my foot in my mouth when I said I was positive it wasn't the hard drive...

To troubleshoot whether it was the hard drive, the power supply, the IDE adapter, or the motherboard, I bought a new TiVo TCD649080 from amazon for $50 with free shipping, and I was going to use that to switch the hard drive and then power supply to rule those out. Well, second I put the new Tivos HDD in the old one, booted right up fine. I was really hoping it was the power supply to justify buying the new one.

So I reinstalled Instant Cake on the 1TB, and my Tivos back to normal...

Btw for those who are curious, I have a lifetime subscription on this one and that's why I didn't just use the new one.

And hell I'm sure from the look of the power supply it'll go at some point, so I'll have a spare on hand.

So for those who are browsing the internet and have the White Screen Of Death.

White Screen Of Death = Most likely Hard Drive

Hope this helps someone in the future!

-David

Also, I bought an APC Uninterruptible power supply so I have time to unplug the Tivo myself,
      a $5 inline coaxial surge protector that I'm going to hook up to the main line in the basement,
      and I'm hooking up the Tivos "In" Coaxial line to a surge protector that I had lieing around because the APC UPS model I got didn't have it.

So the next time we lose electricity I'll update whether it worked or not. Which should be soon since falls right around the corner.

-David
      Last edited by Xaviorffviii; 08-26-2010, 05:06 PM. Reason: Forgot some stuff

Comment

Working...
      X