I only have antenna, which tivo can I use

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I only have antenna, which tivo can I use

I only have an antenna on my house . . . no cable, no dish, nothing, just regular tv w/antenna. Which tivo can I use? And I will be able to use it with the tivo service (wish list . . etc.) right? If anyone could make a list of the tivo's that I could use that would be MARVELOUS. Thanks.

Any standalone TiVo (without built-in DIRECTV) other than the TCD648080 and TCD648250 will work with antenna.

Comment

Thanks, that is very helpful. Unfortunately do to my ignorance of tivo, I don't know where I can aquire a complete list of the standalone tivo players (current or not current). I've tried searching on yahoo but aparently I'm doing it wrong, so if anyone knows of a list of Standalone Tivo players (even better if without directv) that would be great! Thanks.

Comment

Can I not use a series 1 or series 3 tivo player of any sorts?

Comment

could I get any tivo player I wanted, and use it without service? Thanks.

Comment

One of the things that makes Tivo great is its ability to record what you want, whenever it's on. The thing that lets it do that is the guide data, which you get from the service.

Some Tivos came with the ability to access Tivo Basic, which gets a limited amount of guide data for free. My Toshiba has that, but I don't think the Series 3 does.

Series 1: the original Tivos sold
            Series 2: Tivos sold over the past couple of years. Unlike series 1's, they can be networked and use the latest software. Both Series 1 and 2 are "analog", they don't have digital receivers.
            Series 3: the brand new High Definition Tivo that has CableCard slots for digital cable.

Comment

The only TiVos you can use without a subscription of any kind are a standalone Series 1 (PTV or HDR models) or the Toshiba & Pioneer DVD TiVos. PTV and HDR model Series 1 TiVos can be used in manual recording mode where a user sets the in and out recording times. The latter two groups shipped with free TiVo Basic service and will provide 3 days of TV guide data, but won't allow the use of more advanced features like Season Pass or Wish List.
              That's all there is to it!

Comment

Originally posted by the5555 View Post
                I only have an antenna on my house . . . no cable, no dish, nothing, just regular tv w/antenna. Which tivo can I use? And I will be able to use it with the tivo service (wish list . . etc.) right? If anyone could make a list of the tivo's that I could use that would be MARVELOUS. Thanks.
                Use a Toshiba SD-H400 you will have TV line up but no monthly fees.

Comment

Looks like I have no way of Antenna Hookup

Originally posted by WK-Jeff View Post
                  Any standalone TiVo (without built-in DIRECTV) other than the TCD648080 and TCD648250 will work with antenna.

Hi, I believe I have the '80 model referred to above -- Can I go with non-cable set up with another method.

Thank you for your help/response. New User.

Best Regards,

Davidslegend

Comment

So you have a TCD649080? If so, that will not work with antenna at all, sorry to say.
                    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Working...
                    X