Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Think your tivo hard drive is dead? Here's how to find out...

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DuckNJoy View Post
    We have a Phillips DVR from DTV. Have had it for about 4 years. Few days ago... It gave us a crappy choppy picture... Then after calling DTV they said it was dead and sent us a new box... Fine and dandy... except we had hours of info on there including my husbands cheesy mug on the tube at a football game.... and our kids on the news riding their dirtbikes... Is this info recoverable??? Please help!!!! We cannot get the unit to power up... It has a USB port in the back.... I am not too computer savy with the inner workings... just how to make them do what I want them too..... Any advice is appreciated.
    What do you see the screen when you plug the unit in? Do you get lights on the front?

Comment

I replaced the Drive (WK 160gb) but still getting "Welcome powereing up..."

I have a TIVO - Direct TV DSR704 and just installed the replacement drive from Weaknees. I am still getting the same "Welcome Powering Up..." Screen as I was getting with the old drive. The replacement drive was made based on information in the forums.

Now that the new Drvive is in - Do I need to perform some kind of reboot? Are there buttons to push on the front or remote to do this?

The Front panel has green light.
      The Screen is Grey one saying - "Welcome, Powering Up..."
      The unit is a Direct Tivo - DSR704

thanks
      Frank.

Comment

The "replace" drive is the right thing to try. Are you sure it's installed properly?
        Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Michael - I checked the drive and it was installed properly and I hear it booting when I give power to the unit. I took some photos of the Power Supply. I noticed some white "goo" on the PS in many spots though this seems like some form of insulation or something considering photos I found on the net have that. But I also saw brown discoloration at one spot which may be a failing PS? I took pictures

Thanks
          Frank.

Comment

The goo is definitely normal, but the brown discoloration really doesn't look good at all. Very likely a capacitor burned out there. You should try a new power supply.

Comment

Boot issue now with new drive from WK

Hey - so.... I did get the DSR704 booted back in early January and the new WK drive was installed properly and working well. Last night we noticed the TIVO record light was on but on the TV there was NOTHING - No Video or Audio. When I woke up same thing.
              I did a hard reboot by powering off then on.

Welcome (grey screen) came up - THIS WAS WHERE I WAS STUCK LAST TIME.
              Then the Direct TV Logo Came up - and said "Almost there..."
              This has not gone away.

I retried Reboot again and still same thing.

Is new Drive bad? Is this symptom of anything you heard of. Most all posts say that they are stuck on Welcome Grey screen, but I get past that one....

Frank

Comment

Hi guru's of all things Tivo!

First time poster, but I have done quite a bit of reading...excuse any ignorance my post highlights...I think I have a question that has yet to be answered...

I have a Tivo Series 3 (2 cable card slots in the rear of the unit, Model 648250) with severe health problems.

The unit powers on, I see the POWERING UP screen for 10-15 seconds..at this time all 4 lights and the digital display are illuminated on the front of the unit, and the Tivo Guy appears on the display panel. Within 15 seconds, the Tivo guy disappears from the digital display panel, all 4 indicator lights stay illuminate and I get a gray screen on the TV; totally grey, no words, no text, no pictures. The Tivo stays this way until I unplug it.

Factory drive is a 250GB Western Digital SATA (Model WD2500BS...funny letters in the model number). I have obtained a replacement drive as a first line of defense and tried using the MFSTools and the DD command to clone the old drive and all data onto the new drive...this worked, but upon installing the new drive in the Tivo I experienced the same issue...so I'm thinking software (aka Tivo OS) corruption.

I am attempting to use the weaknees_sata.iso to load the "Tivo OS" onto the new drive. I unplugged the drives normally connected to the SATA ports in my PC and connected the new drive to SATA0 and the old drive to SATA1. When I execute the command mount /dev/sda /mnt I get the error MOUNT: MOUNTING /dev/sda on /mnt failed: No such device or address...this occurs with sda, sdb, sdc, sde...

It is almost as if the upgrade CD (WeaKness lba48 Tivo upgrade CD -- SATA edition) does not recogonize the SATA device.

Also of note, During the boot process of the CD I get ata2.00: failed to IDENTIFY (I/O errpr, err_mask=0x104) errors...this seems to be the point in the boot where SATA devices are mapped to ATA1 and ATA2...

The PC is a Dell Optiplex 320. I HAVE NOT booted windows with the drives connected to the PC....Please help.

Comment

Let me add a bit more information regarding some of the errors encountered during the linux boot; I had to run the command DMESG | MORE to read the errors after boot:

PCI: Cannot allocate resource region 1 of device 0000:00:14.0

0000:00:13.0 OHCI: BIOS handoff failed (BIOS bug ?) 000001b4
                  0000:00:13.1 OHCI: BIOS handoff failed (BIOS bug ?) 000001b4
                  0000:00:13.2 OHCI: BIOS handoff failed (BIOS bug ?) 000001b4
                  0000:00:13.3 OHCI: BIOS handoff failed (BIOS bug ?) 000001b4
                  0000:00:13.4 OHCI: BIOS handoff failed (BIOS bug ?) 000001b4

I googled, and found the link below...appears to be a linux kernel bug related to Dell Optiplex 320 machines. None of the alternative work arounds posted in the link below resolve the issue...they just prevent the boot from completing....so, for the moment it would seem that the weaknees_sata.iso IS NOT COMPATIBLE with the Dell Optiplex 320.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...22/+bug/138305

-- Brad

Comment

That may be the case. To be sure, can you mount the new drive on that PC with the WeaKnees CD?

Comment

• Confirmed. I am able to run the CD on another machine....this is a linux kernel bug....the ISO will NOT work on a Dell Optiplex 320.

Comment

• OK - hopefully we'll rebuild it to cover more units.

Comment

• Possible HDD Failure?

Have S2 Tivo 540040 upgraded to 2 250 GB HDD about 2-3 years ago. About a year ago during a Tivo service update my tivo was stuck on the power up loop. I reformatted both disks and re-imaged them. Everything seemed to be fine until this morning. Please note: have not had any pixellation issues, rebooting, nothing.

The power up loop is back. Says "Welcome...", transitions to "Just a few minutes more...", then all lights go out on the front and the unit reboots.

While it is booting up I get the green light, the unit responds to remote, and it will go into kickstart. Tried 57, 58, and 52 with no luck.

I am now running the Overnight Test with 54.

I am pretty certain it is not the drives, but corrupt software.

This will be the 3rd time I have had to image the drives. Is there any other way to determine if this is indeed the software or something else?

Thanks for your help!

Comment

• I'd suggest you try a different drive just to rule out drive issues. It's not likely software. IF a different drive doesn't solve the problem, you may have an issue with your motherboard (which we can repair if you are interested).

Comment

• Alternate Drive

I am going to try another drive today, but I am guessing it will work since it has worked other times in the past. However, it just doesn't seem to be the drives....

Anyway, both drives passed the Overnight test.

Will keep posted.

Thanks!

Comment

• My TIVO screen is black, I can retrieve taped programs on second machine. Is it fixable

Comment

Working...
                                X