Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Think your tivo hard drive is dead? Here's how to find out...

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So do you even get menus?
    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

• My Tivo Series 3 is stuck on the "Welcome! Powering up...." screen. All front lights are on.
      I had to turn my Tivo off to move it and when I turned it back on it frezzes during startup.
      It is a little less than 2 years old, and has rarely been turned off.

I have tried to get to do the "54" test from the Tivo remote after holding down the "Pause" button for 2 minutesb ut I get no change on the front panel lights of the Series 3. (Actually I noticed the red light on the remote actually goes out after about 2 minutes.)
      I did this also after a 15 sec power off, during power up. Tried a few times to no avail even after power off over night.
      Hard drive dead?
      Last edited by NetNathan; 11-26-2009, 01:05 PM.

Comment

• Right - stuck where you are means you can't do the kick start tests.

That really sounds like a classic bad drive, especially because it happened right after a move. We'd recommend a replacement:

http://www.weaknees.com/tivo-upgrade.php

Comment

• Can I ressurrect my TiVo with a new drive.

I have a TiVo with Lifetime Service(SN 240-0000-E06F-E50E) on it and I am pretty sure the Hard Drive died on it. Ticket ID: KID-970207
          Department: General It is stuck in startup mode everytime I power it on. Can I just purchase one of you $199 deals for the 1TB upgrade and put it in? Is this the correct one?
          1 TB Replace Kit Special - AV Hard Drive $199
          Model: TiVo TCD240040 (40hr)

I know I will loose all the recorded shows and will have to reset the programming options.
          If this does not work, can I return it?

Comment

• Originally posted by hardestyt View Post
            I have a TiVo with Lifetime Service(SN 240-0000-E06F-E50E) on it and I am pretty sure the Hard Drive died on it. Ticket ID: KID-970207
            Department: General It is stuck in startup mode everytime I power it on. Can I just purchase one of you $199 deals for the 1TB upgrade and put it in? Is this the correct one?
            1 TB Replace Kit Special - AV Hard Drive $199
            Model: TiVo TCD240040 (40hr)

I know I will loose all the recorded shows and will have to reset the programming options.
            If this does not work, can I return it?
            Yes, that looks right. That drive will work in your model, but if for some reason it doesn't we can fix your unit and/or you can return the drive. See:

TiVo Repairs - Flat Fee Service

http://www.weaknees.com/payment.php
            (Return policy)

Comment

• Black Screen

I read through most of these posts, but I have yet find one with my problem.

I have a TCD24008A (with lifetime service) which is 6 years old. Yesterday morning the screen showed nothing but black with a few flickering white dashes that move about the screen. I tried unplugging it but the same problem keeps coming back. I'm not able to access any menus at all.

I don't mind swapping out the hard drive... but does it sound like that would be the problem?

THANKS!

Comment

• Nope - sounds like a bad power supply, or potentially a bad motherboard, to me.

Power supply replacements are here:

http://www.weaknees.com/tivo-power-supply.php

And services that include TiVo motherboard repairs are here:

http://www.weaknees.com/tff-repair.php

Comment

• Black Screen II

I have the same problem as Tikiman. Just happened. 2003 model, white dashes, black screen. Fan is running but can't get anything from the remote. Strangely, there's audio still coming through from some live programing.

Also, any conspiracy theories out there that my new Comcast digital box messed with Tivo. Everything was fine till I hooked that up 2 weeks ago.

Thanks!

Comment

• Ouch - that one doesn't sound to good, if the audio is still playing.

As far as the conspiracy theory, I don't see how a Comcast digital box could even cause that kind of a problem if Comcast wanted it to.

I'd recommend the flat fee repair - that would include a motherboard repair, which looks to be a likely possibility:

http://www.weaknees.com/tff-repair.php

Comment

• Tivo Dead?

I came back from Christmas and found my Tivo TDC24004A wouldn't respond to the remote to take it off standby. I just had a blank screen. I unplugged everything and let it sit, but had the same results. I don't get any lights on the front or when I use the remote, but the remote lights up. The case fan in the back works.

I opened it up and inspected everything for obvious problems, but found none. I unplugged the hard drive and tested the power cable and got the proper voltages. I plugged in a spare hard drive and I heard it spin up. I plugged in the Tivo hard drive and heard nothing at all even with my ear on the case.

Comment

• That's likely a bad power supply.

When you boot it, do you get any video out at all, like a gray "welcome, powering up" screen?

Comment

• I don't get any messages when I plug it back in. I just tried it again to double check and got some (three or so) white dashes that moved left to right around three times from top to bottom, then cycled back to the top and continued. Earlier it was just blank.

It does block the antenna signal from passing through when plugged in. When unplugged, I can watch the over-the-air signals on the tv.

I tried unplugging the ribbon cable from the hard drive after reading an earlier post and the drive spun up. It didn't again when I reconnected the ribbon cable.

Thanks for your help!
                          Last edited by Brett; 01-19-2010, 04:33 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Brett View Post
                            I don't get any messages when I plug it back in. I just tried it again to double check and got some (three or so) white dashes that moved left to right around three times from top to bottom, then cycled back to the top and continued. Earlier it was just blank.

It does block the antenna signal from passing through when plugged in. When unplugged, I can watch the over-the-air signals on the tv.

I tried unplugging the ribbon cable from the hard drive after reading an earlier post and the drive spun up. It didn't again when I reconnected the ribbon cable.

Thanks for your help!
                            I too would suggest that you try a power supply, but we also offer this:

TiVo Repair - Flat-fee Service

Comment

• could my hard drive be causing this ?

First of all i would like to say hello my name is Erica
                              and thanks for your help.

Now I have a tivo series 3 connect to my lcd tv via hdmi and it makes a static/chirp
                              sound through the audio almost like a high pitch static almost like when the picture pix elates but just the sound not the picture .

I have a separate tivo 3 that i hooked up to isolate the problem and it works fine

I have tried
                              different hdmi cable
                              Dolby to pcm
                              restarting
                              unplugging
                              lcd tv audio settings etc

i would assume it is a hardware issue but where to I start
                              has any one had this problem of course I am out of warranty any help appreciated thanks .

Comment

• Originally posted by 1godking View Post
                                First of all i would like to say hello my name is Erica
                                and thanks for your help.

Now I have a tivo series 3 connect to my lcd tv via hdmi and it makes a static/chirp
                                sound through the audio almost like a high pitch static almost like when the picture pix elates but just the sound not the picture .

I have a separate tivo 3 that i hooked up to isolate the problem and it works fine

I have tried
                                different hdmi cable
                                Dolby to pcm
                                restarting
                                unplugging
                                lcd tv audio settings etc

i would assume it is a hardware issue but where to I start
                                has any one had this problem of course I am out of warranty any help appreciated thanks .
                                We answered this elsewhere; we kindly ask that you not post multiple times. Thank you.

Comment

Working...
                                X