Premiere XL Unresponsive to Remote

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Premiere XL Unresponsive to Remote

For some reason, my Premiere XL will stop responding to its remote. The light on the remote works, the amber light on the unit lights up, but there's no response. The weird part is that the machine records, and the picture is not frozen (both tuners, it appears, since once it was the other tuner that was recording); just no response to remotes despite lights on both ends lighting up.

First thing I did was unplug and plug. This of course resolved the issue, but it reoccurred a couple days later. This time, succumbing to the human tendency to fix things with brute force, I kept pressing all the remote buttons. After several key presses, the Premiere XL simply restarted on its own. Several farflung potential nightmare scenarios ensued in my imagination.

First I thought it might be a hard drive problem. One of your techs suggested a kickstart 54 to see if the hard drive was ok. Fair enough, but one thing bothered me: There was no picture freeze.

After digging a bit in various forums, it seems the following are true in these (somewhat alarmingly common, at least for Premiere XLs) instances:

1) The remote and unit respond via lights, despite no results,

2) The picture and recordings continue unaffected,

3) If one continues pressing remote keys, the unit eventually restarts, but, and very importantly

4) If left alone, the unit continues to function (albeit without remote access), and after several minutes (or perhaps even longer), the unit becomes responsive again ... sometimes.

Upon further digging, the following are also true:

4) If you have a Tuning Adapter attached to your unit, these problems tend to be exacerbated,

5) While not responding to the IR remote, the unit will respond to an a network remote app, say on an iTouch or iPhone, which utilizes the network connection to remote control the TiVo unit, and

6) The unit will also respond in this state to the new TiVo Slide remote, which also doesn't use IR, but Bluetooth via USB.

So it seems there is something with Premiere XLs that for lack of a better term "clogs" up the IR passthrough from the remote to the unit, apparently temporarily, but for how long at any one time is anyone's guess. Further clogging up the IR queue results in some kind of overflow error that forces the unit to restart. Waiting may or may not resolve the issue eventually. At the same time, the "unresponsive" unit does respond to other non-IR remote options (iPhone/iTouch app; TiVo Slide remote). (Now, why this is affecting XLs vs non-XLs, and more those with tuning adapters ... who knows?)

Does this make any sense to anyone there? TiVo has acknowledged this issue with XLs, and are working on a permanent fix. At least there are two somewhat kludgey workarounds, and more importantly, this doesn't seem like it's a hard drive issue, and for that, hurray.

I'm thinking this may be an IR interference issue more than anything else. Have you seen this blog post?

http://www.wkblog.com/tivo/2006/07/m...-working-well/
    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Originally posted by WK-Michael View Post
      I'm thinking this may be an IR interference issue more than anything else. Have you seen this blog post?

http://www.wkblog.com/tivo/2006/07/m...-working-well/
      I have read about this issue, and I see your point. The only argument I have against this is that there are no other remotes in the room. Plus the fact that given enough button pushes, the TiVo resets, and it seems to only affect the Premiere, and XLs at that. Anyway, we'll all see what TiVo says, I suppose.

P.S. I hate to say it, but there's a lot to the old car-buying advice, "Never buy the first year of any new model."

Comment

Yup - reasonable advice.

I would also say that TiVo is really focusing a lot of their R&D on these boxes, so if there are issues, I'd guess they'll get fixed pretty soon. They've been squashing a lot of bugs so far . . .

Comment

Originally posted by WK-Michael View Post
          I would also say that TiVo is really focusing a lot of their R&D on these boxes, so if there are issues, I'd guess they'll get fixed pretty soon. They've been squashing a lot of bugs so far . . .
          One thing that seems to work: System 14.6 stabilizes things a bit, but also making sure the Tuning Adapter is plugged into USB2 (bottom port) instead of USB1 (top port). Since I swapped the ports, no remote holdups, for what it's worth.

Comment

Remarkable. Thank you for sharing...and excellent troubleshooting!

Comment

Originally posted by WK-Jeff View Post
              Remarkable. Thank you for sharing...and excellent troubleshooting!
              Thanks, but I spoke too soon: It happened again. The quick workaround is to not stop pressing buttons on the remote; the unit sometimes works out the bottleneck. Continuing to press keys on the (unresponsive) remote ends up just resetting the unit.

Here's something from TiVo CS:

While we do not have any known solutions for freezes like this, we do have a work around I would like you to try to see if it works for you. If the TiVo box becomes unresponsive, I would like you to key in the following sequence on the remote to reboot just the interface rather than the entire TiVo box. That sequence is Thumbs Up, Thumbs Down, Play, Play. It should take about 30 seconds, but should bring back functionality to you. If it does work, then we are looking at one of the bugs that we are still trying to hammer out in the interface. We have resolved most of these issues, but for some customers the problem persists. We are continuing work on them to get a resolution out to our customers as soon as possible.
              An interface reboot seems like a useful thing to have in one's proverbial back pocket for instances like semi-freezes and -lockups.

P.S. Emailing TiVo often results in excellent workarounds like these, so customer service there gets a pat on the back.

Comment

Yup - I've heard about that, but haven't tried it. It sounds like a tacit admission that the Flash interface isn't the most stable thing.

Comment

Originally posted by TishTash View Post
                  For some reason, my Premiere XL will stop responding to its remote. The light on the remote works, the amber light on the unit lights up, but there's no response. The weird part is that the machine records, and the picture is not frozen (both tuners, it appears, since once it was the other tuner that was recording); just no response to remotes despite lights on both ends lighting up.

First thing I did was unplug and plug. This of course resolved the issue, but it reoccurred a couple days later. This time, succumbing to the human tendency to fix things with brute force, I kept pressing all the remote buttons. After several key presses, the Premiere XL simply restarted on its own. Several farflung potential nightmare scenarios ensued in my imagination.

First I thought it might be a hard drive problem. One of your techs suggested a kickstart 54 to see if the hard drive was ok. Fair enough, but one thing bothered me: There was no picture freeze.

After digging a bit in various forums, it seems the following are true in these (somewhat alarmingly common, at least for Premiere XLs) instances:

1) The remote and unit respond via lights, despite no results,

2) The picture and recordings continue unaffected,

3) If one continues pressing remote keys, the unit eventually restarts, but, and very importantly

4) If left alone, the unit continues to function (albeit without remote access), and after several minutes (or perhaps even longer), the unit becomes responsive again ... sometimes.

Upon further digging, the following are also true:

4) If you have a Tuning Adapter attached to your unit, these problems tend to be exacerbated,

5) While not responding to the IR remote, the unit will respond to an a network remote app, say on an iTouch or iPhone, which utilizes the network connection to remote control the TiVo unit, and

6) The unit will also respond in this state to the new TiVo Slide remote, which also doesn't use IR, but Bluetooth via USB.

So it seems there is something with Premiere XLs that for lack of a better term "clogs" up the IR passthrough from the remote to the unit, apparently temporarily, but for how long at any one time is anyone's guess. Further clogging up the IR queue results in some kind of overflow error that forces the unit to restart. Waiting may or may not resolve the issue eventually. At the same time, the "unresponsive" unit does respond to other non-IR remote options (iPhone/iTouch app; TiVo Slide remote). (Now, why this is affecting XLs vs non-XLs, and more those with tuning adapters ... who knows?)

Does this make any sense to anyone there? TiVo has acknowledged this issue with XLs, and are working on a permanent fix. At least there are two somewhat kludgey workarounds, and more importantly, this doesn't seem like it's a hard drive issue, and for that, hurray.

My brand new Tivo Premier just did this exact thing for the first time tonight, only thing fixes it. Were you ever able to correct this? If it happens often, it's going back!

Comment

Premiere XL Unresponsive to Remote

I've had my Premiere XL since May and up until a couple of weeks ago it worked just fine, except for the annoying lag time in the HD menu. Eventually I began to get the GCOD (green circle of death) using the HD menu, so I switched to the SD menu. This worked for a week or so, and then I began having the problem described in this thread: Tivo simply stops responding to the remote. After reading the entries on some of the Tivo troubleshooting threads I tried the "thumbs up, thumbs down, play play" fix. That did nothing. Nor did trying new batteries, or a different remote, or using the Tivo app on my iPhone or the Tivo app on my Ipad. Now.... it's true that if left alone for an extended period it eventually sorts itself out and starts working again, but it does rather break up the evening when this problem keeps occurring. Uplugging the unit is an effective reboot-cure, but I then lose everything it was recording at the time.

Finally, I called Weaknees support this morning to get some answers. I was suprised to to learn from the tech that this Premiere problem is extremely rare as is the Green Circle of Death, (a term he was unfamiliar with). I pointed out that I had seen quite a few mentions of the problem in the Tivo blogs and was told, "you got out looking for a problem on the Net, you're gonna find it." The tech said it sounded like a bad hard drive (after four months?). He suggested I wipe the drive with a delete everything command and see what happens. (Losing all my recorded programs). "What about the Kickstart hard drive diagnostic?" I asked. "Not reliable", he said.

I finally asked if maybe there was a fix in the works for the GCOD on the HD menu, either hardware or software. "Maybe, maybe not. Nobody knows what they're working on," was the response to that one.

So..... has anybody out there tried a hard drive wipe to solve the problem of the non-response to the remote? I'd like to see what others have found before I lose everything I've recorded.

Comment

Just to be clear, we aren't TiVo, and we don't know what they're doing internally. That's certainly correct.

Comment

Premiere not responding to remote

Although it didn't occur to me until I saw the reply to my query.... of course.. I had mistakenly been equating Weaknees with Tivo, forgetting that they are two separate entities. So I'm wondering if I'm directing questions to the wrong place? I bought my Premiere from Weaknees, but it is after all, a Tivo product, right? But if I were to call Tivo and ask questions about my Premiere would they disavow any responsibility, saying in essence... "you bought a Tivo that was modified by Weaknees, so you'll have to direct your questions to them".

Nevertheless I will ask this question: having been told that I might have a hard drive problem causing the difficulties with the remote, I went ahead and did the Kickstart 54 diagnostic test. Everything came up "Pass" after about 24 hours of diagnosing. So..... hard drive is OK?

After that I rebooted the Tivo. But before I settled in for an evening of TV, I did a few things that were recommended from the various blog entries I've seen: I made sure all of my various remote controls were accounted for and that none of them was putting out a signal. I replaced the CFC lightbulbs in my TV room with standard incandescent bulbs. (I no longer have a Roomba, but would have unplugged the homing station on that!) I also went back to my HD menu, since the total freeze up of the Tivo seemed to occur only in SD mode. The evening was uneventful. Everything worked as it was supposed to. I'm still a bit gun-shy, though... expecting a freeze up every time I push a button on the remote.

Comment

Passing a kickstart 54 test is definitely a good sign, but doesn't always mean there are no problems with the drive. We've seen drives pass those test and still cause problems; we've even seen drives pass the long manufacturers' tests and still cause problems. But in your case, it sure seems as though something else is/was causing the problems.

Comment

Working...
                          X