series 2 r10 reboot & other problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• series 2 r10 reboot & other problems

I have been reading the forums regarding reboot issues, and it seems that a new HD is the fix, but I just want to check on a few things:

I have a DirecTv Tivo series 2 R10 DVR (software 6.4a-01-2-521). I've had a few years. About a month ago I started having DAILY reboots. They always seem to happen when I am using the remote for something. I have also had a few random freezes (no bad weather involved). And, (I'm not sure if this is related or not), but I have had a weird audio problem (while watching live or recorded show) where for about 7-10 seconds the audio goes out, but only the dialogue, not the background audio. For example, if a person is speaking and there is music playing in the background or a car chase or anything that isn't dialogue, you can still here that sound, but just not the primary dialogue.

Way back when (like in the 1990's I think) I bought my first series I Tivo, I bought the lifetime service (ie. I don't pay a monthly fee for the machine). I have done through many HD upgrades and new machines over the years.

I don't know if I need to get a new machine (if so, will my lifetime service stay intact?) or just upgrade the HD with WeaKnees?

Help. Thanks.

It's possible that you need a new drive, you can test by following the kickstart 54 procedures here:

http://www.weaknees.com/tivo-kickstart-codes.php

However, there is a known issue at the moment with TiVos rebooting. We don't expect the problem to last long, but you might want to give it a few days to see if it gets resolved on its own.

Comment

s2 reboots

I am glad to hear there is a known problem. I sent my TiVo to WeaKnees a few weeks ago and got a new drive. Then, my other TiVo started rebooting randomly and frequently. It seemed really odd that both TiVos would fail at the same time. I sent the second one in hoping to get it fixed before the disk was completely gone. (I don't have it back yet). In the meantime, the TiVo with the new disk is rebooting. Aaargh! Can the rebooting be bad for the disk? I wonder if that is what caused the first disk to fail.

I hope it is a problem that is fixed quickly. I've been seeing it for several weeks now.

Please keep us updated on this problem.

Cheers,
      Cheryl
      Last edited by Cheryl Huntington; 11-21-2010, 07:35 PM. Reason: adding more info

Comment

known reboot issue

I just called Directv to ask them if they had it listed as a known issue and if they would be putting out a software update soon. I was told that they do NOT have it as a known issue.

Don't the software updates come from Directv? Or is it a situation where the receiver's manufacturer sends the software updates to Directv and they are passed on to the customer, consequently, Directv is a middle-man and has no idea what's going on??

Originally posted by WK-Jeff View Post
        It's possible that you need a new drive, you can test by following the kickstart 54 procedures here:

http://www.weaknees.com/tivo-kickstart-codes.php

However, there is a known issue at the moment with TiVos rebooting. We don't expect the problem to last long, but you might want to give it a few days to see if it gets resolved on its own.

Comment

See:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=458245

Comment

Working...
          X