Problems changing channels with Series 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tiv02003UniqueID View Post
    Thanks for the quick response. I have redone the Guided Setup twice. It did not solve the problem. Also, it never displayed the screen shown on TIVO's website that allows you to enter the Advanced Setup to try different IR codes. The only option it gave me was to select a cable box. Any other suggestions would be appreciated or any guidelines as to how to access the Advanced Setup IR feature.

I suspect that in one of the software updates that feature was removed, since only older posts reference that capability.

Thanks
    I heard back from TiVo customer support yesterday evening and they suggested that I reset the IR settings and try to find a different speed setting to resolve the problem. I picked the 10006-c setting for the Moto box and so far so good. While I would have preferred the serial connection, I can live with this if it works. I will let you know if I run into any problems.

In order for me to access the advanced IR option screens, they gave me the following instructions, since this setting was not available by default:

1. Go to TiVo Central > Messages & Settings > Restart or Reset System > Repeat Guided Setup.

2. Navigate through Guided Setup screens until you reach the Channel Changing Tests screen.

3. On your TiVo remote, press the following keys in order: THUMBS UP, THUMBS DOWN, PAUSE, PLAY. You should hear 5 dings when they enter the key sequence above. If they do not hear the dings, enter the code again.

4. On the Support Information screen, press SELECT to continue.

5. On the Channel Changing Tests screen, you should now see the phrase "Press ENTER for advanced setup" at the bottom of the screen. Press the ENTER key on your remote.

6. You will now see the Cable Channel Changing Advanced Setup screen. Highlight IR Code and press SELECT.

7. You will now see the Select IR Code screen. Enter 10006 as your IR Code.

8. On the next screen, try each version of the code several times to find which one is most reliable. To try a code, press the CHAN UP button on the remote and see if the video in the background changes. Select the one that is most reliable.

9. Once you have selected a code, select Use these settings. Proceed with Guided Setup.

Hope this helps and thanks again for the input.

Comment

Originally posted by jmasoner View Post
      I have the same issues... Perhaps I can provide a little more for the experts to chew on.

Everything @Gladgal states, I have to echo.

I have two of these Tivo Series II units, each is connected to a Motorola Digital (non-HD) Comcast Cable boxes.
      Both have been in service for years, may 8 to 10-years.
      One unit is in my office, the other is in my Man Cave.
      About a year ago the Hard drive for the Tivo in my office failed and I installed a Weaknees Hard Drive upgrade Kit which worked beautifully. (thank you.)

My office unit (which I use almost every day) was the first one I noticed having trouble. The one in the Man Cave is only used on Friday nights - so, I didn't think anything of the issues I was having in the office... until I noticed that specific programs weren't being recorded - example: Lingerie Football League (MTV2 - channel 135) the first few games of the season recorded on then starting 9/16/11 it's been miss more than hit.

I hadn't noticed before, but was able to confirm by looking at the recordings that if the cable box was originally on a higher number say music on 916 the box changes channels down, to say 135; the blue bar at the bottom does switch to 135 for a second or two, and then goes to the next lower channel which is 131 in my case - and records 131, rather than 135.

In my office, I generally go from channel 6 (CBS) to something like channel 204 (DIY) and again it shows 204 on the blue bar for a second or two, and then goes to the next channel up, 215 (NICK).. I hadn't noticed the correlation between changing channels up makes it miss up a channel and changing channels down makes it miss down a channel. Weird!

OK, so what have I done to try and fix it.
      1. Complete power down. No joy.
      2. Complete power down, unplug A/C outlet. No joy.
      3. Complete power down, unplug A/C outlet, unplug Cable, unplug USB Wireless, unplug Serial Cable. No joy.
      4. Called TiVo support. Ran through a series of seemingly useless tests.
      5. Questioned if new code was recently released. They said they didn't know of any.
      6. Called Comcast support - they reset the cable box (remote.) No joy.
      7. Returned one of the cable boxes to Comcast, for an Exchange. Plugged it in, and had it activated. No joy.
      8. Went through resetting the Channel Changing setup, which runs a little test at the end - and concludes that I can use the TiVo remote control to change channels on the cable box. (Yes I can, but I can't use it to land on the right channel

Here is more information. Lets say I'm on channel 916, and I type in 135, TiVo will change the channel to 135 (blue bar pops up, seconds later it lands on 131, and picture and sound resume.) At this point I Press the channel up button, it goes to 136, and sound and picture follow within seconds. Press the channel Down button, and it goes to 135. I did it all again, down button channel 131 comes up, press the up button again, and it went to 513, and then 514, and then 515, before landing on 516. Skipping a slug of channels... There is no rhyme or reason for this... Yet, at this point if I press the Info button, Tivo gives me the info for channel 135 (where I should be) and when I press the Guide button, TiVo shows 135 as the top channel on the chart.

I have to wonder if there was a software upgrade on either device that has caused this - nobody wants to admit there was, but as there were no changes by me, there has to be something internal that changed.
      Yes all these problems used to occur in old units but new ones are upgraded and not create such problems. Every channel runs fine now. You made me remember of old days

Comment

Working...
      X