Series II problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Series II problems

I am working on a TCD140060 with lifetime service. I have a Series III HD that I've upgraded with InstantCake in the past. Last week, our lovely power company decided it would be fun to turn the power off and on a dozen times. The above mentioned TIVO didn't like that. It was stuck on the powering up screen. I opened the case and found the hard drive was not spinning. Fate would have it that I had an extra IDE hard drive laying around, so I purchased the appropriate InstantCake and burned the new drive.

After installing the drive, I had a new issue - the TIVO would begin to boot, then I would hear a click, and it would re-start - over and over. I have an external HD power supply, so I wired it such that the HD was getting independent power. Now the TIVO will boot up and go through start-up with out any problems. Obviously I need a new power supply.

Here's my question - the TIVO is putting out black and white - both in setup screens and TV. Could the power supply be causing this as well, or did the tuner cook as well? Three component failures at once seems unlikely, but I don't want to spend another 70 bucks and have black and white only..

Thanks for your help.

Black and white output can be from a bad S-Video cable or bad motherboard. If the S-video cable is good or if you're not using s-video, then you should consider a flat-fee repair:

http://www.weaknees.com/tff

Comment

Strange update. I was using the coaxial cable in and out. I tried running a RCA cable and switched the input on the TV and got color. I swapped back to cable, and when I switched the TV input back - its in color. Gremlins at work, I suppose.

Anyway, I went ahead an ordered the power supply - that does sound like the culprit behind the continual rebooting that resolves when the HD is under separate power, right?

Comment

Sounds right - I can't say we have a history of experience with external drive power supplies, but I think you've got the right conclusion there.
        Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Update - SUCCESS! I ordered the power supply on the 1st - obviously a holiday - so the first working day was the 3rd. The power supply arrived today and I had it installed in under 5 minutes. The unit boots up perfectly. I did see a popped capacitor once the old power supply was out. Do you guys want the old parts for rebuilding? Thanks again for your help diagnosing the unit and for having the parts available.

Comment

Great!

If you don't mind sending the old one in, sure, we can use it:

http://www.weaknees.com/local-contact.php
            Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Working...
            X