Directv RCA DVR40 - Pixelation/Distortion/Audio In and Out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Directv RCA DVR40 - Pixelation/Distortion/Audio In and Out

I still have the original Directv RCA DVR40 that I got back in '03 or '04 when I first signed a contract with Direc. About a year to year and a half ago my hard drive went bad and I bought a new upgrade kit (80hr) through you guys. Everything has worked fine up until about 1 month or 2 ago and it's gradually getting worse. Now I'm getting some pixelation/distortion with the audio briefly going out when the pixelation/distortion occurs. It's weird. It seems to only be happening on certain channels. Not on all. I don't know which ones exactly cause I don't have time to sit and wait for it to do on every channel. I either called you guys or Direc recently and someone told me it could be one or possibly both tuners could be going bad. Is it possible that this hard drive is going bad this soon? I remember it doing things like this when the original hard drive was going bad. Do you think it could possibly be the motherboard? I love my TiVo and I refuse to let it die! I don't like regular DVR's that Direc is handing out now so I'm doing everything I can to keep my TiVo alive until Direc and TiVo agree to something and release the latest TiVo model to Direc customers. Any ideas of suggestions on how to fix it will be greatly appreciated. I already know about the $150 flat fee to send it to you guys. I'm just trying to fix it myself and keep that option open if all else fails. Thanks guys!

This is most likely a tuner (which is part of your motherboard), especially if it only happens on certain channels. It is something we can fix.

See this page for repair info:

http://www.weaknees.com/tuner

and this page for more troubleshooting info:

http://www.wkblog.com/tivo/2008/04/d...rive-or-tuner/
    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Ok Michael. Thanks for your help and suggestions. I'll do some more testing to try to determine which one it is.

Oh, one more thing...I'm not sure if you can answer this but I'll ask you anyway. I found and bought another used Directv RCA DVR80 that I found on eBay for $38. It sounds like it's in good working condition and the price was cheap so I'm taking a chance. My question is this: When I talked to the lady from Direc, she made a comment about the card and unit being basically married to each other...is that correct? So would the card I currently have in my DVR40 work in the DVR80 or will I have to order a new one from Directv? Sounds like I will. Also, I would assume I could switch out certain parts from one to the other if I wanted to right? I know I can with the hard drive since I upgraded the DVR40 to an 80 anyway myself. This should be one way to figure out if the one I'm having issues with is the hard drive or the tuner....provided the one I just bought has 2 good tuners corrrect?

Comment

Moving parts can get tricky, but, yes, the woman from DTV was right - the card is married to the first unit on which it's activated.

As far as moving a drive, to use it in the other unit, you'll need to do a "clear and delete everything" after you move it, otherwise you'll have a hardware error.
        Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Ok...but why wouldn't you clear and delete everything BEFORE you moved it instead of after?

Comment

The drive has to serialize to the new unit, and does so only after you initiate the process.

Comment

Working...
            X