Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is there a chart for DirecTV sats and transponders?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is there a chart for DirecTV sats and transponders?

I've had pixellation problems on some channels. Tuner 2 is worse than Tuner 1 in my DSR-704, and yes, someday I will send it to Weaknees to have the checkup. However, many other channels come in just fine.

Some of the channels I have problems with are MSNBC, Nickelodeon West and ABC Family. It occurs to me that it's about one-third of the channels I receive, and I have a three-LNA oval dish. I've tried repositioning the dish and the situation hasn't changed much.

If I knew what satellites/transponders these channels appear on, I might find that it's on one of the satellite LNA's. Then I could get some improvement by buying a used dish locally and swapping the LNA's. That would give me time to save up for the inevitable shipping of my unit to Weaknees. Does anyone have a chart for those satellites/transponders and the channels they carry?

What you are experiencing is classic bad SAT 2 on a DIRECTV TiVo.

You can take your unit to some other location that has a dish and confirm that it's not your dish.... I really think you'd be wasting your time looking at transponders, etc., but I think there might be a chart at wikipedia.

Comment

Yes, as I mentioned, Sat 2 input is weaker (and yes, I've confirmed that by switching the cables) but the same channels are also pixellating on Sat 1 - just not as badly. That is why I suspect that one of the LNB's on my three-LNB dish has gone bad.

For a while, I went through Satellite Setup when tuned to the trouble channels, so that after the setup, both Sat 1 and Sat 2 would be on the same channel. That enabled me to record on that channel with less (if not absolutely no) pixellation and freezes. It will be a while before I can pay the $150 for the Weaknees total repair package, so I would like to try a different LNB (which I should be able to buy locally for maybe $20) as a stopgap measure.

Comment

OK - we're definitely curious as to the outcome, so keep us posted.
        Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Working...
        X