Video skipping on series 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Video skipping on series 2

This is a strange problem that I have never seen on a tivo before.

I have a series 2 (old style with dark Grey front) tivo that I put a new 500 gig hard drive in. It worked fine and good for about 2 months. But then I noticed the first problem.

1. It would not keep up with the tv. It would be back to 30 min behind. If I didnt use it for awhile I would have to fast forward it to real time.

That problem seemed to fix itself. But now for awhile it would lock up during live tv. It would lock up and then skip a few seconds to catch up to the live feed. It would only be a second or two. And when I play back a recorded show it would not show the skip. It would just have a weird cut where you could tell a few words of a characters sentence was chopped in half.

I thought maybe because the direct tv was HD on that tv I changed it to a regular Direct tv receiver and it seems to still do it.

Sounds like a bad drive that's pausing, to me. I'd try a TiVo Kickstart 54:

http://www.weaknees.com/tivo-kickstart-hd-tests.php
    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

I did the kick start tests and there was no real problem shown. I just wonder since I have it hooked up to a direct tv box via the rca cables, could the rca connectors input on the tvio be whats bad?

Comment

Nope - never seen that. But that doesn't mean this could be the first time.

When you said there was no "real problem" does that mean there is some problem? Did you do the extended test?

Comment

When I did the kick start test it did show there was no problem though I do not think I did the over night one. I just did the ones where it showed a black screen and then green graphs on it. It took a bit but it said it passed on them.

But anyway it has to be the hard drive since I can hear it loudly now. Which is kind of annoying since its less then 6 months old from Best Buy. A 500 gig Pata Western Digital drive that came in a thin blue box. It seems at least my best buy doesnt have many internal drives anymore.

Comment

If it's from BestBuy, it's not likely an AV drive. They do fail much sooner in DVRs.

Comment

Working...
            X