HR10-250 OTA Reception Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HR10-250 OTA Reception Help

I have three HR10-250s and have just recently started to use the OTA connections to get my locals in HD. As a side note, OMG the picture coming off the antenna is amazing -- so great without the MPEG4 compression off the satellite... But I digress.

Anyway, my question is about signal strength and the OTA receiver in the HR10. We live quite a ways, and just out of the line of site from, the local channels. But with much effort, more than a little time on a ladder, and no small expense, I have put up a top-of-the-line HD antenna on a mount over 30' in the air, and I get good signal strength from all the relevant channels.

However, the signal isn't great on all channels. I get some better than others (of course, it is an antenna), but my issue is with the HR10. If I connect the antenna signal directly into the Sony TV, I get something like 23 digital channels, all but the most distant with 100% quality and rarely a blip/pixellation/stutter to the picture.

If I connect this same line to the HR10, I get only about 10 channels, only those with the strongest signals, and even some of those stutter/pixellate/pause randomly (seemingly based on some kinds of weather problem). This is most frustrating to watch, and worse to discover the next day when you watch a TiVo'ed show that had this problem. And worse yet, several channels I love just don't come in at all on the HR10, but I'm sitting here today watching one of those right off the TV tuner just fine.

Anyone have ideas/suggestions on what I can/should do to resolve this? Does the HR10 just have a lousy OTA tuner? My multiswitch already has an OTA amplifier (which I have cranked all the way up), so I'm not sure what to do? Suggestions?

Can you tell us what experiements you've tried? How does the HR10 perform with less amplification, for example. (strange question, I realize) And of those 23 channels, how many are redundant broadcasts?
    That's all there is to it!

Comment

Well, the "less amplification" is a problem... the multiswitch is way up in the attic, a long trek across ceiling joists and crawling through insulation. I guess I could try, but to play with it... ugh.

I've tried to isolate time of day issues, seems like I get worse reception at night. That doesn't help much does it?

I have three HD sets, two with tuners (both Sony). The two with their own tuners behave this way (get great reception) compared to the HR10.

I have a signal meter for the antenna and it shows not much difference (maybe 5-10%) between the ones I get and the ones I don't on the HR10, so I must be pretty close.

Not sure what you mean by "redundant broadcasts"?

Comment

Working...
      X