Wondering about Lifetime services

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wondering about Lifetime services

I know Tivo doesn't do the lifetime anymore on the new tivos. But still honors the ones done on the series 2 boxes. Well I was wondering something.

If I went to the local pawn shops and looked for tivos, and can get their serial numbers is it possible to check to see if they could be a lifetime subscription before I buy them from the pawn shops? Anywhere to look online or is it just luck of the draw when you try to put it on your account?

I'm not really sure how you'd check, short of dialing each unit in to see what it says on-screen.

Are there really that many used TiVos at pawn shops? I wouldn't think a used TiVo is worth much.
    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Originally posted by nodakskip View Post
      I know Tivo doesn't do the lifetime anymore on the new tivos. But still honors the ones done on the series 2 boxes. Well I was wondering something.

If I went to the local pawn shops and looked for tivos, and can get their serial numbers is it possible to check to see if they could be a lifetime subscription before I buy them from the pawn shops? Anywhere to look online or is it just luck of the draw when you try to put it on your account?
      You can call Tivo and ask them. (I suppose you could also do the live chat typing in a box on their website thing) You need the TiVo Service Number (which may not be the same as the serial number). Look on the back on the label where the power cord plugs in. Write it down.

If TiVo says that the Product Service Level is #5, Lifetime, then get the pawn shop to boot up the TiVo and feed it into a television, then go to the System Information screen and make sure that the service number is the same as on the label on the back, and that it shows a service level of 5.

That way you know it works and that you're actually getting what you think you're getting.

You might be better off checking Craigslist sites than pawn shops.

Comment

Working...
      X