Need help activating a used THR22

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help activating a used THR22

I canceled my DirecTV subscription quite a while ago and IIRC, they asked for the access cards back when I canceled but not the hardware. Since I figured those units could be put to good use for someone else wanting to use TiVo with DirecTV, I sold them. The buyer is now saying that DirecTV won't activate them because they are "leased" despite me never paying a lease fee when I was a DTV subscriber (I even went back to my bill to double-check) and them never asking for the hardware back either. I saw on the Weaknees THR22 page that DTV will consider any unit to be leased if it was ever activated after March, 2006.... which of course, any used unit would be.

So what now? In the olden days, DirecTV would just send you an access card as long as you're an active subscriber and pay the monthly fee for a second unit... is that no longer a thing?

Or is the hardware now just destined to be recycled and can never be activated again?
    TiVo DVRs, remotes, upgrades, parts, and repairs for all TiVo, DIRECTV, Bolt, Roamio, Premiere and other DVR models.

I'm pretty sure that at this point, DTV will basically never activate equipment that doesn't come directly from them or a store like us that gets them from their distributor. Every serial number and RID is in their system, and they know exactly where every piece of equipment comes from.
    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

I talked to another tech at DirecTV who told me that they will no longer activate TiVo receivers, regardless if they are brand new or not. They only want you using their Genie now.

Comment

Originally posted by xpl0re View Post
        I talked to another tech at DirecTV who told me that they will no longer activate TiVo receivers, regardless if they are brand new or not. They only want you using their Genie now.
        We still sell brand new TiVo THR22s for DIRECTV and DTV still activates them. And we still stock plenty of other non-Genie receivers (H24, H25, HR24) that can still be activated.
        Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Working...
        X