X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strange things happening with my Roamio Pro

Roamio Pro-Extended Warranty-Lifetime
    Software version 21.10.2.v13-840-6-840

Upgraded from Premiere to Roamio over a year ago and bought a reburb from Weaknees. There was a software upgrade. Sometimes, while watching live TV through Tivo, I experience a variety of problems:
    • Live TV will change ITSELF to menu screen with live TV in upper right corner. Sometimes it corrects itself and goes back to full screen and sometimes not.
    • Sometimes while watching live TV through Tivo with regular dialogue the sound will drop out and then slowly come back up.
    • Sometimes after recorded Tivo video, when I delete the recording, and select LiveTV, full screen live TV appears but there’s no audio. I change channels and return to the original channel and the sound returns (sometimes I have to do this multiple times).
    • Sometimes, while watching live TV through Tivo, all of the sudden the Tivo restarts out of the blue and by itself.
    • Sometimes all of the sudden the live TV feed through Tivo will appear almost posterized; kind of a snowy-like effect. It can last for days. Then it disappears as quickly as it appears.
    —————————————————
    Solutions I’ve tried:
    • Restarting Tivo.
    • Unplugging for awhile and then restarting Tivo.
    • Restarting tuner.
    • Restarting router.
    • Forcing server connection.
    • Checking other channels for sound dropouts and/or video posterization.
    • All home theater units are on separate shelves with adequate clearance and I’ve left the glass door open and drilled extra openings in the back for airflow.
    —————————————————
    I don’t know if I need to roll back the software version to premiere? I didn’t have any of these issues with that model. I still use that model in another room. I read about the laptop fan under the Tivo just in case it’s overheating (I don’t get any errors or messages).

This unit is in use about 17 hours per day either in live TV, playback or music mode. Maybe it’s OVERuse?

I don’t know what else to try. Any suggestions?

This sounds like a connection issue possibly. Is the TiVo connected to the TV with an HDMI cable? Does it go through any type of HDMI splitter or audio/video receiver?
    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

The Roamio Pro is connected the same way the Premiere was: through a Denon A/V deck and a HDMI cable. I never had any of these issues with the Premiere.

Comment

Please try a direct HDMI connection, just as a test.

Comment

I tried the connection but couldn’t tell a difference. However, I would have to watch that way for months to try and figure out if this avoided the above issues. It’s not like they happened all the time.

Then again, why would I need to change the setup when the Premiere worked perfectly? The only difference is the software version. When I upgraded, I just slipped the Roamio Pro into the same spot and used the same connections as before. I can’t believe Tivo would change and bypass the whole A/V receiver (and market) with the Roamio Pro model. I don’t use the TV speakers.

Comment

I can't say for sure, but I'd be the HDMI implementation on the Roamio hardware-wise is significantly newer than the HDMI on Premieres.

Comment

I’m sure it is newer just by default of the date the part was made; better probably because it’s a newer and better model but should that make a difference? They both should work flawlessly.

I was watching a Hulu movie today through AppleTV which is connected to the A/V receiver but not the Tivo. No issues. What does that tell you? Could the HDMI part on the Tivo be defective? Is there a fix that doesn’t involve bypassing my high-end A/V receiver and surround speakers?

Also, every time a new show comes on live TV, a banner shows up from the bottom of the screen with info about the show. When this happens, the sound always drops out and slowly comes back up. Is there a way to disable the banner? I have looked everywhere. There used to be a setting (maybe it was on the Premier and before) but I can’t find it now.

Comment

TiVos don't like HDMI switchers and AV receivers. They never have. HDMI is a two-way protocol, and switchers and receivers have to monkey with the signal to make it work properly. TiVos are really strict about HDMI since they don't want to run afoul of broadcasters' rights.

Comment

That’s not true! I just got done telling you none of this happened with the Premiere, Series 3 HD or Series 2 for that matter. To be fair, only the Premiere used HDMI and component for a time before I had HDMI. Are you saying I should take my plasma TV back to component and digital audio connections to avoid this? Is that the best Tivo can do?

Comment

But the Roamio is newer. I'm not sure why you don't see that the Roamio has newer hardware and firmware for HDMI.

I'm saying, plug the HDMI in directly. That's the current best practice. Use your TV to select your HDMI source. If you want audio through your receiver, use HDMI-ARC out to it. That's how all of this is designed to work.

Comment

I understand that. I do. You didn’t say video out was an option. I just looked. I don’t have any video out at all (I have four HDMI and one component video in) but I do have a digital audio out. I think if I split this the video gets out of sync because of the tiny delay. Maybe I can adjust the receiver delay. I don’t think my TV was designed to be the media hub; that’s what the A/V receiver was designed for. Maybe that’s changed now but when I bought the plasma, I don’t think so.

So let me try this:
                      1. Direct connect HDMI Tivo to TV.
                      2. Direct connect digital audio TV to receiver.
                      3. Adjust audio delay on receiver, if necessary,
                      4. Monitor feed for glitches.

Sound good?

Comment

You don't have an HDMI-ARC port on there? Unless the TV is pretty old, one HDMI port is generally marked as ARC also, which is Audio Return Channel. That should communicate to your receiver without a noticeable delay.

Comment

It’s a Panasonic 50” Viera Plasma TC-P50GT30 dated Sep 2012. It’s not that old and it’s beautiful but in tech years it’s old. Is HDMI input 1 an ARC? Here are the specs. It looks like that would be the only one.
                          You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                          This gallery has 2 photos.

Comment

Yes - that's the one!

Comment

I rewired everything just the way you said and I’m still getting the issues. Last night the Tivo image changed from live picture to menu with image in upper right. First, I chose video in the background, not in the upper right, but Tivo did it anyway. And second, no one was anywhere near the remote. Tivo just decided to change the screen on its own. So these types of things are still happening, along with sound dropouts and video freezes when the program banner displays even after making input changes.

With my AV receiver being Denon, I called their support. They said Tivo doesn’t handshake well through HDMI to ANY receiver because of the nature of it’s starts and stops. Just to let you know, the standard is when there is an AV receiver, it is the hub; everything goes through it, not the TV. That said, and the fact that Tivo can’t handshake well through HDMI with the AV receiver, going through the TV is the better way. However, Denon suggested a EDID device that will resolve any handshake issues between Tivo and the AV receiver through HDMI. I connect it to the HDMI port on the AV receiver and plug the Tivo feed into it. Then the AV receiver HDMI out to the TV.

What do you think about the EDID? I didn’t find any information on Weaknees’, Tivo or Denon’s site. I tried to do some searching for possible products but I don’t know how to evaluate. Can you help with that? Denon could not.

Comment

Working...
                              X