TIVO Roamio TCD846500 freezes on live cable, not on playback

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TIVO Roamio TCD846500 freezes on live cable, not on playback

I have a TV Roamio TCD846500 that has started freezing when watching live TV. I can play a recorded show without the freezing. The freeze lasts about 13 seconds and happens about every 2 minutes. My MBT is 45-46 and I have good circulation around the TIVO. The fan is working and I have tried a different plug in power supply. I did not see any swollen caps on the internals.

Likely you have a failing hard drive. Try an overnight test via the kickstart 54 for more info:

https://www.weaknees.com/54

Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Thank you, I will give that a try. Nothing to lose right?

Comment

That’s right. It’s a non-destructive test.

Comment

Problem solved. The HD checked out fine. The issue is that through the years the heat sink paste, UNDER the heat shield hardened and failed. You have to remove the circuit board and pinch the four spring loaded holders that keep the heat sink on top of the small 3/4" x 3/4" chip. I cleaned things up, put on new thermal paste and it has been working fine for the last two days. Apparently the MBT sensor cannot sense what is going on on this single chip. IN any case, it is now fixed and it cost me nothing more than a little time and a small squirt of thermal paste.

Comment

OK - interesting fix. Thanks for the follow-up!

Comment

Working...
            X