Issue with Tivo picture

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Issue with Tivo picture

We just purchased a Tivo from you and had a service call from Directv to get it set up/ working. We now are finding 2 issues.

1. The picture does not appear to be in HD. Tivo and our tv are set to 16:9 and we have gone through all the various settings 480, 720, 1080 etc. Nothing fixes it. This happened the last time we hooke up a new Tivo, and unfortunately, we don't remember how to fix it.

2. When we change channels on Tivo there is a lag time and a full gray screen appears for a few seconds. Never had that before.

Short of spending another 2+ hours with Directv customer service and then having a service call, we were hoping that you might be familiar with these issues and have a solution. Thanks in advance for any help you can give us.

What model TiVo is this? I'm assuming it's a THR22.

Can you post a screenshot of a channel that doesn't look like it's in HD with the channel info banner up?

As far as the lag time, that's not really something I've heard about, but it may go away with a little time for the guide info to fully index. If it's not gone in 72 hours, just try restarting the unit.
    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Yes. We just bought the THR22 from you guys. We sent you our Tivo to see if you could repair it, but it had been fried, so we bought a new one. Took a few screen shots. Not great quality I'm afraid, but hopefully you can see how the picture isn't filling the screen .... and with some shows, it looks like the whole picture is squashed. Also took a pic of the gray screen that is popping up when I change channels. Thanks
      You do not have permission to view this gallery.
      This gallery has 3 photos.

Comment

Looks like restarting the unit took care of the gray screen. Thank you !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now if we can just figure out why the picture doesn't fill the whole screen we'll be all set.

Comment

I'm not in front of one these, but it has to be either the resolution or the aspect ratio on your TiVo or TV. 480i isn't HD, so you need 720 or 1080 something.

Comment

We just had a DirecTV service call and the technician changed the setting to "zoom" and that made the picture fill the screen on our Tivo. But the picture is just not sharp. It's like it's not HD quality. The box says it's 1080i, but the technician said there is nothing he can do. He even tried changing the HDMI cable for a new one and it made no difference. We've always had a great picture on our Tivo Boxes in the past. Wondering if you can offer any suggestions. Hoping it's not a bad box. Thanks alot.

Comment

Did the technician think the picture was OK?

Could this be a setting on your TV?

Are you sure you're tuning to an HD channel?

Comment

No. He agreed that it was not HD Sharp. We have a Genie also and we put them both on the same channel and flipped back and forth. Defintely a difference in picture quality. Never had this before. He was here over an hour and tried everything. TV/ Genie and Tivo are all at 16:9, and 1080i. We tested with mutliple channels, ABC, ESPN, Golf channel. All HD. Thanks

Comment

I'm really stumped. If you want to send it in, we can take a look at it. I can't see how HD would be anything less than HD. Strange.

One last thought: is the HDMI direct from the TiVo to the TV? If it's going through anything else like a receiver or HDMI splitter, please omit that as a test and use a single HDMI cable, TiVo to TV.

Comment

OK. Thanks. No it's a 15 ft cable going straight from the Tivo to the TV. Will see if a miracle happens overnight, or may send to you to check it out. We only got it from you about a week or so ago. Thanks alot

Comment

Hmm. 15 feet is pretty long. Maybe try just temporarily moving it right next to the TV and using the cable we shipped with the unit.

Comment

Think we might have fixed it. Really appreciate all your troubleshooting help !!!!! Looks like when I changed it to say "don't show duplicate SD channels" it fixed the picture. Now it's as clear/ sharp as our Genie. We are gonna keep our fingers crossed that this fix worked and stays. But for now, I think we are good. Thank you !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Great! Glad to hear it. Sounds like it was just on the SD version of that channel.

Comment

Working...
                          X