Bad tuner or hard drive?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bad tuner or hard drive?

Bolt has started recording choppy videos. Old recordings are fine. Has a problem viewing channels at times also. Seems like one or more tuners are going bad.

That's possible, but more likely it's a bad cable signal or card. Do you have issues at other TVs in your house? If not, can you move this TiVo to another location and try it there?
    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

I should have mentioned it is an OTA and the antenna and signal are fine. Signal strength is good on all channels.

Comment

OK - still, trying it in another location can help figure out what's going on. Tuners don't usually fail in Bolts.

Comment

Thanks for your input but I only have one antenna on the roof and one coax to the current location. My current subscription is almost up and I have ordered an Edge to replace the Bolt as I didn't want to spend the money for a new hard drive only to find out it was something else. Only some of the newer recordings are affected and all the older existing seem to be fine. Even the fast forward has been very choppy for a while which makes me lean towards a hard drive.

Comment

You can have the Bolt check the hard drive with this "overnight test":

https://www.weaknees.com/54

Comment

I tried to open the kickstart Hard drive test and I get as far as entering the code, see the green and amber flash, but then the Bolt just opens normally and no HD Test menu? The kickstart instructions are old and even getting my remote to IR was different than what they said. Wish they would update.

Comment

Sorry - the kickstart is tough. I'd just try it a few more times to see if it'll take.

Comment

I bought the Edge and now trying to get stuff transferred from the Bolt to the Edge. I will start a new thread on that and hope for some enlightenment. Thanks again

Comment

Working...
                  X