Two different Bolts from WeaKnees have all "Choose other apps" greyed out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two different Bolts from WeaKnees have all "Choose other apps" greyed out

I bought a refurbished Bolt (OTA 1TB) from WeaKnees last month. Seems to work fine except for one thing: in Settings / Add & Manage Apps, all the apps under "Choose other apps you want to see in Apps" (YouTube Kids, Ameba TV, CuriosityStream, FlixFling, HSN, &c.) are checkmarked and greyed out. I can't unselect any of them. Also, oddly, at the end of the list are two unchecked checkboxes with no text beside them; I can't checkmark those.

The section above this has the bigger-name apps (Netflix, Prime Membership, Prime Video, Hulu, &c.), and I can check/uncheck those no problem.

I pursued this with TiVo support and they had no idea. I posted to TiVoCommunity and to Reddit r/Tivo and got no responses.

Then one day the Bolt started having trouble - whenever I used the rewind or replay buttons, the video would become corrupted as if it was a really bad signal, and it would continue like this until I pressed Live TV to switch to a different tuner. Between this and the apps problem, I figured there was something wrong with the Bolt, so I contacted WeaKnees support and they shipped me a replacement Bolt.

I just hooked up the replacement Bolt and did the absolute minimum with it - went through Guided Setup and then let it sit for an hour or two. (Didn't even add it to my account yet.) Then I went to look at the apps ... and THIS one also has all of the "Choose other apps you want to see in Apps" greyed out, too!

How could the same problem affect two different Bolts? Is there some problem with the way that WeaKnees provisions refurbed units?

Meanwhile, the rewinding problem with the first Bolt seems to have gone away after a reboot. Leaving me with a dilemma: should I still return the first Bolt, and then add the replacement to my account, set up my channels and my season passes on it, &c. ... or should I keep it and return the replacement Bolt?

img_7233-jpeg.72257.jpgimg_7234-jpeg.72258.jpg
    Attached Files

Doesn't really sound like it matters which one you return at this point. If the first one is on your account, return the second one just so you don't have to call TiVo again.

Next, we don't provision these at all. We buy them from TiVo refurbished and ready to go. So we aren't doing anything that could cause this.

I just checked on my personal Bolt, and I honestly can't even find that screen. How did you navigate there?
    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Press the TiVo button, then either (a) go to Apps -> All and press the A button; or (b) go to Menu -> Settings -> User Preferences -> Add & Manage Apps.

Please let me know what you see there? I'm curious whether your Bolt also has everything in the second section disabled.

My only concern was that if I'm unable to disable those silly third-tier streaming services, then they'll keep appearing in suggestions. But if this is a TiVo bug, then I can live with it.

My only concern with returning the second TiVo is what if the first one develops problems rewinding again, but since that went away after a reboot, I'm guessing (hoping) it was a one-time thing.

Comment

So I don’t see those greyed out apps. I see Netflix to Vudu and that’s it.
        Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Huh! And a Google search for tivo "choose other apps you want to see in apps" turns up nothing other than my posts on the subject!

How weeeeeird! No wonder TiVo Support has been ignoring me; they probably haven't seen this either.

And it came up on both Bolts I got from WeaKnees - and the second one I didn't even configure or personalize at all, I only did the bare minimum to go through Guided Setup and then look at those preferences!

Well, I'll chalk it up to a mystery of the universe. I'll send back the second TiVo (and hope that the rewind glitch on the first one was a temporary glitch I'll never see again). Thank you for helping me!

Comment

Working...
          X