TiVo Roamio HDCP Error

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TiVo Roamio HDCP Error

I have a TiVo Roamio, purchased in 2015, with Comcast Xfinity TV / Cablecard.

A few years ago, seemingly as a result of a thunderstorm, the HDMI port on the TiVo box failed. I switched from HDMI to Composite hookup to the TV, and everything worked fine.

In Dec 2019, we replaced our TV with a TCL 5-series Roku TV. The newer TV does not have a composite hookup. I purchased a cheap composite-to-HDMI adapter (Amazon.com), which worked great for several years.

A couple of weeks ago, I suddenly got an error message on the TV: "HDMI connection not permitted. Press SELECT for more information." The "more information" is: "HDMI not permitted. The copyright holder of this video does not allow it to be viewed on an unsecured device connected with an HDMI cable. If you were trying to wathc this video using an HDMI cable connected to a TV, that TV is not correctly supporting HDCP (HD copy protection) and you will need to switch to using a different cable." I can see the picture on the screen, but it's obscured by the error message bouncing around.

The problem doesn't seem to be the TV, given how relatively new it is (I also tried the other two HDMI ports on the TV, but it made no difference). Restarting the TiVo had no effect. I swapped out the HDMI cable; no effect. I purchased a new composite-to-HDMI adapter; again, no help.

I have a TiVo Mini hooked up as well, and have had no problems with it at all. I can watch recorded shows on the second TV without an HDCP error, but can't watch the same shows on the main TV.

Any thoughts? The only other step I've considered is getting an HDCP 2.2 to 1.4 converter, thinking that maybe the composite adapter is only transmitting a 1.4 signal and I need to convert it to a 2.2 signal to get the TV to detect it properly.

I can't say with 100% certainty, but I think it's the HDMI chip on the motherboard that controls HDCP. We've seen situations like this before, and we suspect that chip and/or port failure is responsible, even when using composite and component output. I don't know of anything you can do to fix it.

Our workaround is generally to just put a TiVo Mini right next to it and use that for everything, leaving the Roamio there as basically a server.
    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Follow up question on how to make this workaround work. Right now, when I use the remote for my TiVo Mini, it also controls the Roamio at the same time (although oddly, the Roamio remote does not seem to control the Mini). How do I prevent that from happening? Otherwise, my use of the Mini could result in weird stuff happening on the Roamio...

Comment

Right - the Roamio remote is in RF mode and locked to the Roamio. The Mini remote sounds like it's in IR mode, so it broadcasts to any TiVo device in the same direction.

What model is the Mini? Most have RF mode, so check in the menus to see if you can change your remote to work in RF.
        Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Working...
        X