Rebuild Roamio after power spike

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rebuild Roamio after power spike

I have a TIVO Roamio Pro that will no longer boot after encountering a nearby lightning strike (the device was protected by a Monster power strip). We lost power to the entire house, so I'm presuming this may have been a spike either to power, or across the coax or ethernet connection (but this is just a guess). Anyhow, when trying to boot I'm getting a GSOD, with the power light showing green. The remote doesn't flash yellow for a little while, but seems to work after a green light illuminates on the mother board (several minutes after power-on). I was at about 95% of capacity, and would like to salvage the recordings, if possible, but obviously am reconciled to losing them if it's the drive (doubt it would be worth it, but have to ask whether data recovery is an option). I also had a TIVO external drive in play as well, so the 95% utilization was across both drives. The internal HD was a WD30EURS Green Power. I loaded up the WD diagnostic software on my Windows box and tried running the short and long test, but not confident that my USB 2.0 to SATA/IDE cable is the greatest - it passed once on the short test, but failed the same many times. Never got a successful run on the long test. Will borrow someones laptop with USB 3.0 and use a USB-to-SATA cable to confirm results. Guess I'm looking for a strategy. It's my understanding that the Roamio will self-configure with an HD no larger that 3TB, so I could just purchase one and see if this works (if so, I'm guessing that pretty much confirms that the old HD is bad), but am intrigued by some things I read regarding the usage of 20TB drive as possibility (don't really want to get stuck with a "tiny" 3TB drive). I'm not a UNIX guy, so I'm guessing this might be a steep learning curve, but I'm pretty computer literate, so can probably stumble thru (also know several UNIX geeks). Anyhow, any suggestions as to how to proceed? My gut tells me I need to determine whether the old drive has either failed or is corrupt (if the latter, can this be repaired?). Are there many other "root causes" o/t HD failure that would exhibit the same start up symptoms (GSOD ... BTW, I'm assuming the GSOD is the green static that fills the monitor, and not something legible - which I DON'T have - comparable to Windows old BSOD). Any suggestions would be appreciated.

BTW - forgot to ask what the minimum size HD would work in the Roamio for self-configuration. I have several 500GB WD drives that are functional. If I get a change I'll try one (nothing to loose - I hope).

Comment

This does sound like a drive failure to me. We don't really offer DIY help, but we do have drives for your model here:

https://www.weaknees.com/rpro.php

I will say that once I hear "lightning strike" I'm pretty wary of a TiVo. Often, you fix one problem only to discover there are two more.
      Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Working...
      X