Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• no output from tivo roamio

hello!
    I've had this Roamio for quite a long time (bought it from Weaknees years ago), and have had no real problems that rebooting didn't quickly fix.

a few weeks ago I dropped my tivo remote. and the tivo seemed to shut down. no output to tv, video or audio. pressing the buttons on the remote did nothing.
    so I disconnected the power for a few moments, and reconnected. everything seemed to be working fine.

yesterday, I was watching a program. there was a nearby electrical storm. Suddenly, there was no output to the tv, audio or video. remote did nothing. the red and green lights were on, as normal. If I pressed a button on the remote, I got the yellow/orange confirmation light on the front of the tivo. I can still use the tivo remote to control the tv power and volume. so, i cut power to the roamio, and left it off for over an hour. after restoring power, there was still no output to tv.

while the tivo was in time out, I hooked up another hdmi source to my tv's ONLY hdmi port. It worked fine. so, not the tv.

after restoring power to the roamio, and not having the desired results, I went to the tivo app on my iPad. and was able to see that the tivo is still working, recording, and I've been able to even watch a show or two this way. but not on the tv.

I contacted tivo customer service and told the representative everything I'd done, experienced, and observed.
    finally they asked if i could hook the roamio up to another tv. there's one in my son's bedroom, so when he got home he hooked this tivo up to his tv. no joy.

somehow i'd gotten the idea the only way i could hook this tivo up was with the hdmi port. in the reading done here and else where it seems it will also work with composite(?) or is it component(?). either way, i've got lots of those cable laying around, and open ports on the tv. may give that a try.

I'm suspecting the hdmi port on the tivo, and as i've read it is not fixable, what happens to the recordings on the drive? can they be transferred to a newer tivo?
    what options are there?

any clarifications, suggestions, comments might be helpful.
    thank you for reading

eta: after posting the above, I found some composite cables and hooked the tivo up to the tv and am now able to access my roamio. but the picture quality isn't quite what i'm used to, even on non-hd channels and especially the tivo interface. would component be provide a better picture?
    Last edited by adagioinb; 04-19-2023, 02:13 AM.

If you have the 4 tuner Roamio, there is no way to get component out of it.

If you get another TiVo, you should be able to transfer the shows off this one over your home network to the newer unit.

We have some Bolts here:

https://www.weaknees.com/bolt

and Edges here:

https://www.weaknees.com/edge
    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

thank you for your response.
      it's a 6 tuner Roamio.
      I did hook up some component cables, and have a wonderful picture on my tv. only no sound. so there's more cable fiddling to do.
      I really want to get an Edge, with 6-10 TB drive. the Roamio is a 4tb (just under 90% full), I think, and if i'm going to transfer the shows, i'll need that space. But it's more than I want to spend right now. Maybe early next year.
      Meantime, I've read where some folks hooked up a Mini, streamed from their Roamio, and got around the dead port that way.

Comment

Yes - a Mini can give you a path to get HDMI out of this unit. We have Minis here:

https://www.weaknees.com/mini

If you are missing audio, you just need either your red/white stereo RCA cables or a digital optical audio cable (Toslink). Your Roamio Plus/Pro offers both audio output options.
        Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Working...
        X