No announcement yet.

Lifetimed Roamio Pro beyond saving? CableCARD error & Error playing a recording

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lifetimed Roamio Pro beyond saving? CableCARD error & Error playing a recording

I have a Roamio Pro that just started showing the “Please call your cable operator and report an invalid CableCARD.” message. My first thought was that it was the CableCard and I did get a replacement from XFinity - and that replacement shows the same error. I'm not even able to get into any of the CableCard information screens.

On a whim, I took a known working CableCard from a Premiere I have and placed into the Roamio Pro and I get the same error and I cannot get into the CableCard information screens either. If I put that same CableCard back into the Premiere, it works perfectly fine.

To me, this indicates that the issue is with the Roamio Pro and not actually the CableCard itself - probably a certificate mismatch as I've read elsewhere. This all started after I experienced a hard lock-up on the Roamio Pro and power cycled it to clear it. Interestingly, all the previously saved (and previously playable) recordings that had been fine are now no longer able to be played (I get an "Error playing a recording" message), but any newly transferred recordings from other TiVo boxes in the house play without any issue.

Is my Roamio Pro now close to becoming a boat anchor? I can still play and transfer recordings from other TiVo boxes - but I have a feeling that I have no option other than to replace the unit itself (which is unfortunate seeing as it has lifetime).

Software version is 20.7.4b.RC3-840-6-840

I don't think there's a certificate error on Roamio Pros at this point. I could be wrong, but I think that's all on Series3 units.

Have you tested your hard drive? You could have corrupt software on there:

https://www.weaknees.com/54

Try the "overnight" test.

If you need a new drive, we have kits here:

https://www.weaknees.com/rpro.php
    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Thank you for your reply. It could well be some corruption and I have yet to try any of the kickstart codes. My initial thought was that it was the CableCard (partly due to the wording of the error message that said to "call your cable operator"), but I feel that I've ruled that out at this point as the replacement CableCard I received (and swapping in other functional CableCards from other TiVo boxes) shows the same error message

I am running the "overnight" test now which I feel is going to take much longer than "overnight". Not only does the Roamio Pro have a 3TB internal drive, there's also the external DVR Expander attached with another 1TB.
      Last edited by bedelman; 04-11-2024, 01:20 PM.

Comment

Is there supposed to be any form of visual feedback during the Automated Overnight Test? I’m not seeing any - other than the arrow keys don’t move the cursor on the testing menu screen now - so it would appear that it’s accepted the option

Comment

We were away so I let the box sit (just in case it was actually doing something even though there was no visual feedback) for the past five days - and there didn't appear to be any change to the screen at all. I did restart the box and it did come back although the "invalid CableCARD" message is still showing.

Not sure what else can be done - perhaps running the less intensive automated tests?

Comment

Working...
          X