SIR S4040R may be toast

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SIR S4040R may be toast

Looking for repair advice. I have a Direct TV Samsung S4040R.
    We came home from vacation to find that the box would not display any channels. The boxes other functions were working. We could play back shows, see the guide etc. just black screens for the channels. I should say that i uplugged the phone line some time ago because it was running up the phone bill. So we had been getting the please make a daily call soon messages. These changed to please call Direct TV to reactivate your dvr service messages while we were gone. Error message #81 I believe. So I plugged in the phone line and made a successfull call. Still nothing. Then I call Direct Tv. Customer service tries a few things. Still nothing. Send me to tech support. Tech support has me unplug the box for 30 seconds AND WHEN I PLUG IT BACK IN NOTHING. Fan spins but no power light, no power up screen.
    They say its dead and are sending me one of there DVRs but i want my TIVO
    Can this box be fixed? Is this a hard drive, power supply or chip issue? Tech says that unplugging the phone for so long is what broke the box?

Btw Tech guy mentioned they had a working prototype HD Tivo Directv box in their office when i was lamenting how i really prefered the TIVO over their DVR. He said I should be able to order it in few months but they have been say that for years!!!
    Last edited by spydergt1; 09-11-2011, 12:50 AM.

Hard to know what's going on there - you either have two problems, or one problem was slowly getting worse, but either way:

a) we can fix it

and

b) it wasn't caused by not having the phone line plugged in.

I'd recommend our flat fee repair since there's a good chance you've got two issues:

http://www.weaknees.com/tff
    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Thanks for confirming that I did not cause its demise by leaving the phone line unplugged. I am confident I could swap out a hard drive and power supply my self. I would get a little more bang for my buck that way with respect to storage capacity but was hoping you could give some insite into what the problem was and if doing these repairs would correct the problem. What one or two problems do you think it was?
      The box would periodicaly restart itself on its own leading up to this melt down

Comment

Originally posted by spydergt1 View Post
        Thanks for confirming that I did not cause its demise by leaving the phone line unplugged. I am confident I could swap out a hard drive and power supply my self. I would get a little more bang for my buck that way with respect to storage capacity but was hoping you could give some insite into what the problem was and if doing these repairs would correct the problem. What one or two problems do you think it was?
        The box would periodicaly restart itself on its own leading up to this melt down
        Well, you pretty clearly have a dead power supply. Then, you may have a bad access card, or a bad hard drive, or both. My guess is, your motherboard is OK.

If you want to try to fix it yourself, start with just a power supply:

http://www.weaknees.com/ps
        Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Working...
        X