Cable cards lose their pairing with series 3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cable cards lose their pairing with series 3

I've talked to TiVo and the cable company. Both originally said I probably needed new cable cards. Did the new install and still have the same problem (though in general reception is much better ). Happens about once a week. I turn on the unit and there's a blank/blue screen where my program should be. No error message. The digital display shows the name of the program it should be recording. If I change channels, sometimes I get reception on low-end channels only, sometimes high-end only, sometimes HD only....random choice. Switching between tuners sometimes causes both of them to drop all channels one by one. If I check the system, check the cable card info, do the cable card pairings on both cards and test channels, sometimes that's enough. More often I have to restart the system THEN do all that stuff. It's a little voodoo-esque, but it works.

Now the cable company is telling me it's not their cards, it's my slots that have gone bad. It helped a lot that they sent out a tech who had never seen a TiVo or a cable card before. That meant I did the repair myself but got charged for it. I'd buy the slot demise premise if I wasn't successful every time with the above process. No other problems with reception, recording, playback...nothing. Everything is working perfectly with this one glitch.

Any suggestions?

I've seen bad slots, but not intermittently bad slots like this.

I'm guessing you have a bad drive. Hard to know, but try a kickstart test to see what you find:

http://www.weaknees.com/54
    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Thanks, Michael! I just saw your reply. Not quite used to the forum yet. I'll try that the next time there's a problem. Right now, with one new card and one old one, I've had only one lost pairing in the past two weeks, which is a recent record. I don't want to mess with success. But I'm sure this won't last, and I seriously appreciate the guidance.

Comment

OK - one problem every two weeks doesn't sound good to me, but if it's an improvement, I guess that's not bad.

Comment

Just touching base. Thanks for your help, Michael. Unfortunately three tries at the kickstart never got me anything but the usual screens. The lights didn't blink or turn yellow; it just went through a normal reboot. BUT, when the problem finally resurfaced I tried reconnecting to the TiVo server through my network. Things got a little weirder as I lost a couple of channels I rarely watch but which TiVo seemed to think needed to be recorded, and now the problem appears to be gone completely. Go figure. As before, I'm sure this is just a lucky coincidence, and I'll probably never know what was wrong or how it got fixed, but I'll keep the old Series 3 until the drives actually crash, which will happen eventually, I'm sure.

Again, thanks for the information. I'm keeping it on file just in case.

Comment

It could have been problems with your cable signal that were fixed externally. Who knows.

Comment

I'm having a similar problem. Channels randomly disappear and after changing channels numerous times and rebooting they randomly begin to reappear. Cable company replaced both cable cards. Have re "bound" the cable times several times. They have tested the signal and all seems to be in order. They claim the TIVO is "probably" the problem.
              Any suggestions as to what I should do now?

Comment

I'd try a hard drive kickstart:

http://www.weaknees.com/54

Comment

Working...
                X