Premiere cycles through reboot screens

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Premiere cycles through reboot screens

All was well until this Premiere (2 TB internal) kept cycling through the two reboot screens. Kickstart 54 returns Fail 7 on short test once, but passed on repeat. Is a kickstart 57 / 58 worth running? Is the hard drive salvageable?

If you're rebooting now and can't get to TiVo Central, then KS57 is not a bad option. Very odd that your KS54 is returning conflicting results.

Comment

Welp, I don't know if I made anything worse, but after KS 57, I get the GSOD for a few minutes (not hours), then back to the restart loop. (For the record, this is an older Premiere; I know the newer TiVo software did away with the GSOD on KS.)

The only other difference is that the "Almost there, just a few minutes" screen doesn't go the almost ten minutes before restarting (back to "Welcome") like before; now it goes quickly to the GSOD, which as mentioned doesn't last very long either.

I have a sinking feeling something died in the first place, resulting in the restart getting almost to the end. The KS 57 replaced this (admittedly useless) situation with something arguably worse, but I'm mainly guessing.

Are KS's 58 or 52 worth trying? If not, would one of you mind sending me an RA #? Thanks in advance.
      Last edited by TishTash; 10-09-2011, 08:55 PM.

Comment

I'm pretty sure we need to get it back here.

Can you email the TiVo TSN to us at [email protected] and we can see if it's under warranty and give you options on how to proceed?
        Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Originally posted by WK-Michael View Post
          I'm pretty sure we need to get it back here.

Can you email the TiVo TSN to us at [email protected] and we can see if it's under warranty and give you options on how to proceed?
          Done. Given you're putting new drives in (and on) the unit, I'm assuming the original drive's irrecoverable? How long have you guys observed your drives to typically last?
          Last edited by TishTash; 10-26-2011, 09:41 AM.

Comment

I don't really understand - are you referring to recovering the data on the drives?

Comment

I don't really understand - are you referring to recovering the data on the drives?
              Yes. And also assuming it just died "of natural causes," I was just curious how long you usually see your installed drives lasting before choking (for no obvious reason, that is, like a electrical surge or being dropped).
              Last edited by TishTash; 10-26-2011, 03:47 PM.

Comment

There's really no answer to that question - just like in a car or other device with moving parts, there's a huge range in the timing. Some drives are dead out of the box; others are still working in original TiVos from 1999.

Comment

There's really no answer to that question - just like in a car or other device with moving parts, there's a huge range in the timing. Some drives are dead out of the box; others are still working in original TiVos from 1999.
                  Thanks for the info. As I told Nick, all I received was the invoice for the 4TB upgrade, but nothing further, i.e., tracking #, shipping notice. I'm afraid to ask, but any news on the (original drive's) recovery front?

Comment

Sorry to confirm your fears, but we weren't able to get a working copy of the data onto the new drives.

Comment

Sorry to confirm your fears, but we weren't able to get a working copy of the data onto the new drives.
                      Yeah, I figured; thanks anyway.

Comment

Working...
                      X