Split image on playback

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Split image on playback

My Sony SVR-2000 TiVo just started displaying all recorded programs with a split image, that also has fine horizontal lines across the screen. It's as if alternating horizontal lines of image are divided among each image on either half of the screen. Even previously recorded programs that I know were recorded OK have the same problem when playing. Does this sound like a problem with the hard drive reading the data, or something in the TiVo electronics? If the hard drive, and chance of a fix vs. replacing it? Any ideas?

Try moving the TiVo to another TV in another room and bypass all surge protectors. Plug the TiVo into the wall. Does the problem persist?

Comment

Thanks for the reply, Jeff. I can try that connecting the TiVo to a different TV and non-surge protected power supply, but with some difficulty as I have the cords running through the wall from the shelf the TiVo unit is on up to the TV, and all bundled together for neatness Before I go to that effort, let me give you one other piece of info that I forgot to mention in my initial post: When using the TiVo menus, the menu text appears normal, although the background moving video with each menu screen also has the split image and horizontal lines. If you're thinking there is an issue with the surge protector or the TV the unit is connected to, wouldn't this problem also affect the text in the TiVo menus? Do you know if the software that drives the menu text resides in the TiVo unit outside of the hard drive? Not that I'm trying to talk myself into a new hard drive and lose all my stored programs, of course! If given that info, you think connecting to a different TV and power source is still indicated, I'll bite that bullet and let you know the result. Thanks again for your time!

Comment

Either way, I really doubt that could be software-related. It sure sounds like a hard drive problem, and a new location is the best way to test for external issues.
        Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Well, after plugging the TiVo into another socket and to another TV, it worked normally. Then I plugged them back into their original locations, and it still worked! Apparently, rebooting the TiVo by unplugging it corrected the problem. I forgot Rule #1 when dealing with computer issues--reboot! But I'm guessing that's a warning sign for the hard drive. And I'm tired of the limited size of the original hard drive, so I am interested in upgrading this unit. Is there a way I can buy the upgrade kit to install myself (I already did this for another unit and it was a breeze) and transfer the programs to the new drive? Or would I need to send the unit to Weaknees in order to do that?

Comment

We'd need to get the unit in order to do the data copy.

Comment

Working...
            X