Series 2 boot failure after upgrade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Series 2 boot failure after upgrade

I've got a Series 2 Model 140060 TiVo that I added a second drive to many years ago. Recently it started freezing up after recording recommendations overnight--the green power and red "recording" leds are lit but the picture is completely blank and it won't respond to the remote (the yellow led that indicates signals from the remote doesn't flash). Power cycling the TiVo seems to resolve the problem and I get no error messages during boot. This happened only sporadically with no discernible pattern.

Since freezing is consistent with a hard drive problem and the original TiVo drive seems much noisier than it should, I ordered two 160GB replacement drives (because I wanted to preserve my recordings and my research indicated that upgrading to a single larger drive wasn't possible). I borrowed an old PC from a friend and, after creating a mfstools boot floppy, used "mfsbackup ... | mfsrestore ..." to copy everything from the old drives to the two new ones. The command completed with no error messages and indicated a new capacity consistent with the additional drive space.

After installing the new drives in the TiVo it failed to boot, hanging at the gray "Powering up" screen with all four leds on the front panel lit. Trying to boot with the old drives installed also failed in the same manner. It also appeared that the old (noisy) drives weren't spinning up properly indicating a potential power supply problem.

After ordering and installing a replacement power supply I still have the same behavior except that the drives definitely spin up. I've tried using a different IDE cable and re-seating the white ribbon cables with no luck. Are there any additional troubleshooting steps I can take, or do I need to seek professional help?

I'd guess you still have a hard drive problem - and that problem was simply copied from the old drives to the new.

I'd try a replacement drive:

http://www.weaknees.com/tv60.php
    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

I'd agree except that my TiVo was running prior to shutting it down to perform the drive upgrade. Seems like exceptionally bad luck to have the drive fail completely just before being copied.

Since I've already purchased two new 160GB drives, I'm not sure it makes sense to purchase a 320GB replacement drive for $199 instead of a flat-fee repair for $149.

Ideally I'd want to check the rest of the hardware for failures with a known good drive and then do a clean software install on my existing drives only if that is the problem. Would something like that be possible under the flat-fee repair scenario?
      Last edited by Vizzini; 11-14-2011, 08:39 PM. Reason: additional content

Comment

Sure - you can send the unit for the $149 flat fee repair with the two new drives. We'll test the drives and then reformat them, most likely. If there's a problem with either, we'll contact you.

Comment

I realized today that I still had the original tivo.bak file on CD that was created when I added the second drive years ago. Tonight I restored it to the new drives first using the WeaKnees CD and then using the original MFSTools 2.0 CD that created the backup. Both times the mfsrestore command completed normally but in neither case would the TiVo boot past the gray "Welcome. Powering up..." screen with all leds remaining lit.

Since I verified that the backup file was good when it was created, I'm thinking that I must have zapped something on the motherboard sometime during the upgrade process.

I'm recopying the old drive contents back to the new drives so I can send it in for repair.

Comment

OK - sounds good.

Comment

Working...
            X