Series-2 (non) startup symptoms

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Series-2 (non) startup symptoms

I have a series-2 TiVo branded unit that started exhibiting symptoms of a failing drive (blocky images with occasional freezes). Now it won't start up (not even a startup screen). The screen is black but the sound is passed through from the cable box and the all the colors in the TiVo lights are lit.

I've had to replace bad drives before, but I'm a little worried that there is no startup screen at all. Should I try replacing the drive or has something else gone bad?

If you don't even get video out, you likely have a bad power supply. Replacements are here:

http://www.weaknees.com/ps
    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Good call! I ordered a replacement power supply and installed it and the unit came back up. It was a little harrowing because the flat ribbon cable that attaches the ps to the motherboard had to be pushed in horizontally on each side rather than vertically as the guide described and I had to remove the HD chassis to get access to it. All's well that ends well. Thanks!

Comment

Yup - those flat ribbon cables are a bit awkward, but once they're in place, they really stay right there.
        Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Working...
        X